Stack Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zac, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    Hello Everyone,
    The time has come for an upgrade...and a serious one at that.
    I have $1500 available for a new stack (maybe more) and wanted to get some ideas from other bassists.

I play 6 string (full time) and play all styles, but I mainly focus on Classical, Metal, and Funk. I also use a lot of chords, slap, and tapping in my playing.

I was think of going with SWR's Working Pro 700, but I'm certainly open for input from you guys. As with anyone who plays 6 string & up...I'm looking for total clarity and power in both the low & high end.

2. burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    I sound like a commercial cause I just posted in another similar thread, but check out Ashdown, ABM series. Should be able to get a 500w amp and cab or two in your price range.

As my sig shows, my main bass is a 6-string Status Empathy; I'm called on to play a wide variety of stuff, everything from country and southern gospel :spit: to more pop stuff and funk/R&B :hyper:, and I can't say that I've ever been disappointed with the Ashdown performance.

Can't speak to it's usefullness for metal, cause that's one of the few things I don't play (at least on my bass)...
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For clarity and high end, go for a GK 1001RBII. I've played one several times. Too bright and hi-fi for my tastes (I'm more of a traditionalist), but for what you are describing, it sounds great for you. Rick's (or is it Rik's) music sells the RB1001 II for $600 (that's as cheap as it gets).

I would NOT buy an SWR Working Pro series. Since the Fender takeover, SWR has been kicking out some junk and I believe the WP series are made in Mexico. The GK is US made.

As for cabs, look at Bergantino and Aguilar. is BLOWING (clearance) out all Aguilar S Series cabs for DIRT cheap. You can get a 4x10 for $379 and a 8x10 for $599. That's wwwwayyy cheper than anybody else. I prefer the Berg's over the Aggies, but the Aggies are BIG bang for the buck!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on all of these statements.

I'd also look @ Eden and Kustom for heads and EA, Schroeder, and EBS for cabs, in addition to Quad's recommendations.