Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stack Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zac, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Zac

Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    Hello Everyone,
    The time has come for an upgrade...and a serious one at that.
    I have $1500 available for a new stack (maybe more) and wanted to get some ideas from other bassists.

I play 6 string (full time) and play all styles, but I mainly focus on Classical, Metal, and Funk. I also use a lot of chords, slap, and tapping in my playing.

I was think of going with SWR's Working Pro 700, but I'm certainly open for input from you guys. As with anyone who plays 6 string & up...I'm looking for total clarity and power in both the low & high end.

Thanks

Zac

2. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    I sound like a commercial cause I just posted in another similar thread, but check out Ashdown, ABM series. Should be able to get a 500w amp and cab or two in your price range.

As my sig shows, my main bass is a 6-string Status Empathy; I'm called on to play a wide variety of stuff, everything from country and southern gospel :spit: to more pop stuff and funk/R&B :hyper:, and I can't say that I've ever been disappointed with the Ashdown performance.

Can't speak to it's usefullness for metal, cause that's one of the few things I don't play (at least on my bass)...

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For clarity and high end, go for a GK 1001RBII. I've played one several times. Too bright and hi-fi for my tastes (I'm more of a traditionalist), but for what you are describing, it sounds great for you. Rick's (or is it Rik's) music sells the RB1001 II for $600 (that's as cheap as it gets).

I would NOT buy an SWR Working Pro series. Since the Fender takeover, SWR has been kicking out some junk and I believe the WP series are made in Mexico. The GK is US made.

As for cabs, look at Bergantino and Aguilar. Musiciansfriend.com is BLOWING (clearance) out all Aguilar S Series cabs for DIRT cheap. You can get a 4x10 for $379 and a 8x10 for $599. That's wwwwayyy cheper than anybody else. I prefer the Berg's over the Aggies, but the Aggies are BIG bang for the buck!

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on all of these statements.

I'd also look @ Eden and Kustom for heads and EA, Schroeder, and EBS for cabs, in addition to Quad's recommendations.