1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stacked blend/blend possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jerry Rice, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Apr 17, 2014
    Hey all - I have done a bunch of unsuccessful searching so I figured I would ask here.

I am starting a build and I will be going with a P5 in the neck position and a MM 5 quad in the bridge, and I thought it would be sweet to do pots like this: volume (pull passive), stacked bass/treble, mid (pull freq) and stacked blend/blend so the lower pot blends between pickups and the upper blends between both coils on the MM. Would this even be possible or is my conceptual setup failing to account for something?

I am currently looking at the Nordstrand pickups and pre, and have reached out to them about it, but I thought that maybe I would get a better and/or faster answer from you all. Thanks.

2. It's possible, but it's not going to be easy to find the pot.

You could contact MEC about a custom pot. Just keep in mind that it won't be cheap.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that, and blending between the two adjacent coils of a MM pickup is probably a whole bunch of extra complexity for a fairly minor difference in sound.

not to mention that typical blend pots aren't "free", they add their own load to the signal, affecting the overall sound.

4. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Apr 17, 2014
    Gotcha - thanks. Probably more trouble (and money) than it is worth, just to have less holes in the body. If Nordstrand comes back saying it is doable for a nominal fee I may go for it but I am not going to hold my breath.

5. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    Use a switch for the MM coil configuration (a rotary 3P4T will give you both single coil, parallel or series combination) and a blend pot between P and MM

6. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Apr 17, 2014
    Yup - thanks, that's what I have on my Lakland, and what would be the normal option. I haven't decided yet if I'll do that or just go with a "standard" MM that just has both coils on (which is what I generally go with on my Lakland).

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021