Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacked Coils?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Verne Andru, Sep 15, 2004.

1. This seems to be where the experts hang, so here's a question - I've got a Yami BB405 with humbuckers I want to replace with stacked coils. I was considering SD Hot Stacks, but I'm seeing in a few of the threads here that SD's may not be the best choice.

Any recommendations?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It depends. One set of pickups can sound great in one bass/fingers/string/preamp combination, and not so good in another.

What don't you like about your current sound? What sound are you looking to get?

3. I'd like to tweak a couple of things. First, the passives that come with it are really weak. But more important, I record DI and the only way to keep the hum under control is to keep the pot's on both pup's set the same, which really restricts the tonal range I can get out of the bass. In theory, a set of stacks should let me set the volume independantly for each pup without introducing the hum of the single coils.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, fair enough.

There's no reason the SD Hot Stacks wouldn't do what you want, they can be wired to be switched between series/parallel or hardwired in either.
    There are also other high output passive J pickups out there - such as the SD 1/4 pounders. They're both fine pickups, just a question of what sound you're after.

5. Much appreciated. Do you know of any basses that ship with either of these stock? I would like to do some in-store testing before I commit - if that's at all possible.

6. Carvin makes some kick ass stacked humbuckers.