Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacked concentric pots vs. Three knob on Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newchibass, Dec 29, 2005.

1. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Hello all:

I just put in an order for a USA Joe Osborn with the three knob tone controls. I am now considering switching it back to the stacked concentric controls. Is there a tonal difference in this?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I prefer the 3-knob setup to the stacker. The stack always sounds "mushy" to me and I am a long time VVT user so it is more natural. If you are really in a quandry I would buy a second control plate with the stack knob setup, and you can switch between them, then keep or sell the one you aren't using.

3. Stacked will be: Volume, Tone, Volume, Tone I suppose? I was thinking to mod my jazz bass (with Dimarzio Model J's and series/parallel switch for each pickup) like this. Because I could use some more highend on the Neckpickup and lose some on the brigde..

4. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, stacked is volume-tone volume-tone. The three knob just feels more intuitive so I am going to stick to that. That is a good idea about the seperate control plate. I recall reading that John Entwhistle said he preferred the sound of the stacked knobs to the 3 knob, but then of course Jaco switched out his for the 3 knob. Thanks again!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, my plan is to build a 61 clone out of a Geddy body and a Precision neck (I like wider necks and 70's pickup positioning) and swap out the pearloid dots for clay. Kind of a Jaco-esque bass, but I'll probably go for the stack knob.