Stacked concentric pots vs. Three knob on Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newchibass, Dec 29, 2005.

1. newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Hello all:

I just put in an order for a USA Joe Osborn with the three knob tone controls. I am now considering switching it back to the stacked concentric controls. Is there a tonal difference in this?
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I prefer the 3-knob setup to the stacker. The stack always sounds "mushy" to me and I am a long time VVT user so it is more natural. If you are really in a quandry I would buy a second control plate with the stack knob setup, and you can switch between them, then keep or sell the one you aren't using.
  3. Stacked will be: Volume, Tone, Volume, Tone I suppose? I was thinking to mod my jazz bass (with Dimarzio Model J's and series/parallel switch for each pickup) like this. Because I could use some more highend on the Neckpickup and lose some on the brigde..
  4. newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, stacked is volume-tone volume-tone. The three knob just feels more intuitive so I am going to stick to that. That is a good idea about the seperate control plate. I recall reading that John Entwhistle said he preferred the sound of the stacked knobs to the 3 knob, but then of course Jaco switched out his for the 3 knob. Thanks again!
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, my plan is to build a 61 clone out of a Geddy body and a Precision neck (I like wider necks and 70's pickup positioning) and swap out the pearloid dots for clay. Kind of a Jaco-esque bass, but I'll probably go for the stack knob.