Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacked Gramma bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. A few of you appear to use the Auralex Gramma on your bass cabs.

I was wondering how safe are they with a 1 x 15" Ampeg and the 4 x 10" Ampeg stacked on top. They state 300 lb loading, mine with both cabs and SVTCL is 240lbs approx so ok there.

My worry is would the four rubber feet on the bottom cab "walk " off the Gramma hence tilting the stack and hey presto the whole lot tumbles to the ground !!

I have had boominess problems at certain stage / floor venues and the Gramma sounds a good low cost solution.

Any thoughts or experiences of toppling off the pad ??

2. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    my guitar players place their amps upon my cabs w/gramma inbetween

on top of my 1/15 sits a baldwin
    then on my 4/10 sits a fender twin

never had any movement problems

3. I never leave home without mine...
    But, if you cabs over hang the Gramma then yes it would be a concern of tipping the whole thing over. They are designed to fit the foot print of most cabs, amps, and monitors. They work very well for me. I will say that not all bass cabs need one or sound as with one in use. For instance I always use a Gramma with my Bergantino 112 stack. It cuts the boom from box stages and I like the extra focus it provides. My Berg NV610 however does not need it and actually does not sound as good with the pad. Could be be because it's a sealed cab design. The Gramma is an indispensable tool to me as I use it on top of my NV610 to isolate my amp rig and it makes a very stable not slipping surface to and fits perfectly. I have two Gramma pad and wouldn't even mind having three. On occasion I've used both to raise my mini 112 higher in tight quarter to hear better were every inch up counts.

If you do overhang or are right on the edge of one Gramma you would have to use two to expand the contact surface area. Expensive but worth the money to me.

4. The foot print of the four rubber feet sit nicely within the 23" x 15" Gramma with about an inch or two to spare before the edge. My worry was if the cab stack moved due to vibration etc that it might move on the Gramma enough to fall off the edge.Yes i could buy two but if they move well they could move enough to slip off two.
    I guess they dont move due to weight upon them in my case two cabs and SVT head approx total of 240lbs, you can see why i dont want it to move at all !!

Besides my 4 x 10 cab is perched on the 15" cab with its feet sitting on the edge of the 15" corners and that doesnt move and fall off so i guess the 15" shouldnt move when sat on 1 off Gramma pad.

Any other people tried them on a stack with 1 x pad ??

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have stacked Bergantino cabs on them many times. Mostly a HT115 and HT210 but also the EX112/HT112 combination, too. Obvious loss of vertical stability but not excessive and nothing that's ever caused me problems.

6. You mention loss off stability is it because they are spongy or flexible so the support suffers ??

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, I'd say so.