Stacked humbuckers? New p/j combo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 27, 2004.

1. I play thrash/black metal, and am looking to replace my current p/j pups. I came extremely close to buying EMG' almost hitting 'send order' but I decided to run it by you guys first. Would there be anything else out there that has a better 'growl' factor?

Also, I recall hearing something about 'stacked humbuckers', isn't that a humbucker stacked so it fits like a J pup? So I could replace the P pickup and then get a stacked humbucker for the J slot, right? Any recommendations for this? The only company I know who makes these are Carvin.

2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Bartolini makes a j pup whose physical structure underneath the cover is close to a P, sounds like what you are after.

With the "stacked" j's you'll run into more ones that are really into canceling hum, rather than a "p in a j." Though I haven't much experience with those. From what I hear, it varies as to how true they are to the original j sound. DiMarzio makes a stacked j humbucker, I think it's the model J? That or the ultra jazz. Also Seymour Duncan makes some.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You could get a set of Nordstrand P/J pickups with a split-coil singlecoil in the bridge. Several TBers have gone this route (one NP4 and one NJ4SE) and have posted their reviews and comments on their Nordstrands in other threads. The result is the same as with using a stacked coil in the bridge. The split coil will give you a noise-free, 60 cycle hum free pickup matched to the split coil of the P, allowing for each pickup to be soloed without fear of introducing noise into your signal chain. Pretty neat, eh? :D
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    DiMarzio J's are "in-line" humbuckers, i.e. they're like a P-pup in a J-shell. They're great (as is the DiMarzio Model P), my favorite J pickups...lots of info on both the Model J and the UltraJazz already in this forum, just do a search.

I've heard good things about Nordstrand Js as well, so take a look for those threads as well.