Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacked J humbucker for a PJ config...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gaz Goldstar, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I have an early eighties Tokai Jazz Sound which I really like but would like to change the poor jazz pickup at the bridge. It is a slighly unusual Jazz Sound as it is a PJ config. I have no problems with the split P pickup but the jazz pup is anemic at best. What I would really like is a hot humbucker (stacked) that ideally is passive and fits into the existing space without the need to modify the bass. the dimensions of the j pup are 1.9 cm x 9.6cm / 0.7 inch x 3.7 inch.

Anybody got any ideas please?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

think you mean 19 x 96, which I think puts the width about right but long for the typical bridge (would have to check a site for precise measurements assuming yours are accurate). If all the above is accurate then you're probably SOL cause it would probably through the screw routings off.

By anemic I also assume you mean thin as opposed to low output. If output is an issue then a look at pup height may be a resolution. You may also be able to drop the P yet retain your tone in order to more balance the pups then just up the amp to compensate for the lower output.

If the volume on the J is acceptable but it's thin, you could install a lower resistance pot, if it has a seperate bridge volume, or a capacitor to alter treble bleed. Both of which would darken the pup up but would seem to lower output cause of the lower frequencies.

Also, if you have seperate volumes, a no load volume on the bridge may be an option.

It's possible an onboard preamp may compensate somewhat but I doubt it.

About all that comes to mind

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If it is a standard sized jazz pup, Duncan makes a pickup called a hot stack which is a high output stacked humbucker in jazz size.

4. Thank you both for your help.

I should mention that a few months ago I bought a Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz pickup for my Tokai but unfortunately the pup casing screws didn't line up with the existing holes on my Tokai. I did a rather nasty hatchet job of the Seymour to fit it into the existing Tokai casing but I still feel that the sound is not what I am looking for. I bought the vintage jazz pup off ebay with the seller stating that it was a bridge pup but I am now wondering if it was a neck pup. the distance between the centre of the screw heads on my Tokai's bridge pup are: 4cm/1.6 inch this is the vertical distance. Is this standard? I can't remember what the Seymour Duncan's proportions were as i have foolishly lost the casing, doh! If the hot stack for jazz would fit it would be perfect.

I have to say though that one of the main reasons I want a humbucker is because I play directly in front of the computer screen quite a lot and the interference from my bridge pup is so annoying I generally use my P pup which is a great deal quieter.

Okie dokie thanks in advance for any further help

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

From what I recall, SD vintage jazz are humcanceling singles not HB's. At any rate, they don't sound like vintage singles and neither does a Hotstack. The only stacked HB I've had that REALLY sounds like a Fender vintage single is the SD classic stack - it fact they sound more true than most replacement vintage singles. And every other J HB I've had sounds like a stacked HB and not a single.

Now I see your from Wales. 4cm or 1 9/16" is a pretty standard (if such a thing exists in the bass world) spacing for a neck pup. From what I can gather you've got a freak pup with neck screw spacing and bridge length. So even if you stick a bridge J (oops meant neck) in there you'll have small gap on each end - probably about 1/16" which is noticeable but not major.

By the way, most pup manufucturer's list pup dimensions on their sites - including Ducan. Screw spacing I don't think so cause as you say, it's fairly standard.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There are several pickup manufacturers that makd hum-canceling jazz pickups (stacked, split coil, etc.). In general, I recommend going with this style of pickup in the bridge in P/J basses, as you can continue to operate the bass without noise and 60 cycle hum issues. It just doesn't make sense to drop a standard single coil in the bridgd and give up the noiseless advantage of the split P pickup. ;)

As for the issues you've encountered trying to find a pickup that fits, sometimes builders will use a standard bridge pickup in the bridge and sometimes they get weird and use a neck pickup. Other times they'll get really goofy and come up with some custom size. If the bridge pickup you used before was about 1/4" too small, then you might need a neck pickup for the bridge position.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 on going with a hum cancelling jazz pickup for the bridge.

When I got my Nordstrand P/J set, I spent the extra money to get a NJ4SE for the bridge position.

It is dead quiet! I have two jazz basses with DiMarzio Hum cancelling pickups, and they still buzz in some situations. Not that Nordstrand. When the guy who installed it for me first heard it, he thought it was the quietest single coil he'd ever heard. I told him it was actually hum cancelling. Said he never heard one before that didn't pick up some buzz in certain situations, unless the bass was shielded. Mine has a gold anodized pickguard, but no shielding.

It's been just over a year now, and love those Nordstrands! :hyper: