Stacked knob question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I want to install a stacked knob set of controls in a bass: vol/tone, EMG select P bass PU. It will be passive. As I understand it, 250k pots will yield a darker tone(please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I'm after). Are there stacked sets w/dual 250k pots? I've found 500k/500k & 500k/250k- would these be advisable? Links, suggestions or sarcastic comments are all welcome.
  2. The difference between a 250k and 500k pot for volume will be marginal. I suggest you use whatever you have available, either 250k or 500k will work out just fine. That's my opinion.
  3. I should use 500k for volume & 250k for tone(250/500 or 500/500 are all I can find), & not vice-versa?
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

concur the variation between a 250 & 500 would be so minimal it would take a side by side comparison to tell the difference. Highly unlikely you'd be able tell from an install. Subtle variation that may make a difference in the edge you get but nothing more.

Caps would be the ticket. Cheap and you should be able to get them at radio shack for less than shipping for a pot. Get several difference sizes and try them till you get what you want. You can make it as dark as you want. For that matter, you could use a cap to effective alter the resistance of a pot.
  5. Just the info I was lookin fer(no pun, inteded or otherwise). Thank you.