Stacked Knobs v. Vol/Vol/Tone on a Fender PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyMan, Jul 19, 2016.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey everyone,

I've got a a Fender Vintage Hot Rodded 60's P Bass:

• Controls: Volume 1. (Precision Bass Pickup), Volume 2. (Jazz Bass Pickup), Master Tone (Both Pickups)
    I'm considering dropping in a 1960 stacked knob setup. Any thoughts? I love the grind of 1960 stacked knob Jazz v. a master tone set up. Anyone try this on a PJ Bass?

TY,

Andy

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm putting together my own. 33lcl77.png wjtkpd.png
    Going with a gold mirror pickguard, matching headstock, gold tuners, gold Babicz bridge, Lace Man O' War pickups, and this.
    It's a passive unit...no battery...and will work with any passive pickup.

The controls offers independent Volume and Tone controls for both pickups. This allows you to blend both volumes and tones at any rate together. The third knob is a center detent boost. 1-5 is a treble boost (eliminates compression) 5-10 is a bass boost. The mini toggle switch is used to invert the phasing of the pickups.
    Easy enough swapping to a P bass pickguard from WD Music. The control knobs will be black and gold instead of black and chrome.
    2pov3u1.jpg
    35nabv5.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Antisyzygy likes this.
  3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Hey, I did just that.

IMG_2521.JPG

If you don't wire it up right the tone knobs will interact. The 1960s circuit does isolate the tone knobs, but it comes at a cost.

If you decide to do it you may want to consider reading this thread :

1960s Jazz Bass - Isolated Dual Stacked Vol/Tones - How does it affect tone?

The 1960s Jazz circuit used some large value resistors to isolate the two stacked knob sets. It bleeds off a lot of your high-end and reduces your volume. RobbieK in that thread has a wiring diagram that will do the same thing (isolation of tone pots like the 1960s circuit) but without bleeding off all your highs and reducing output.

I opted to not have the isolation resistors because if you roll your volume down 10% it will isolate the tone knobs anyway. So it's best of both worlds. You still get the standard PJ scoop with both pickups on, which you would lose using the 1960s circuit.

That is using the wiring diagram I made here (based off RobbieKs) :

Doc - 3-3-16, 10-00 AM.jpg

In practice, isolating the tone knobs and using them at different settings has a lot of tonal overlap. As in you can't distinguish between some settings using the two tone knobs and pickup volumes. However there are some extra tones you can get out of that setup, like a different sort of mid scoop by rolling off the neck tone but leaving the bridge open.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    jd56hawk likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2022