1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stacked pot wiring help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fleebag, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    How do I wire up one of these? Its a stacked 500k/500k linear pot for vol/vol and separate tone on a three hole jazz '62 plate and would like the top volume knob to control the neck pickup. This will only be the 2nd time I've wired anything up so please make it easy as I cant read those fancy diagrams. Any help appreciated.

image.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Look at the volume and tone you're replacing. The bottom pot and 3 contacts corresponds to the center / top knob, so wire that one like the existing volume, and the other one like the existing tone. That's all the "fancy diagrams" are trying to tell you anyway.

3. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    I kinda thought that but what confused me is the old pots have the one connection with the tab bent and soldered to the pot with the [ground?] and wasnt sure how thats done with this one.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    You just need to solder a jumper between the two ground lugs, then run a wire to a different ground location, be it the back of the tone control, or the the ground of your output jack .

LoveThatBass and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Grounding the shell of the control pots is wise unless you want to make little buzz-gathering antennae. :)

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, this has a mechanical shell, maybe you can wedge a ground wire into where the plates cross.

7. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Sweet! I'll try that, thanks man

8. For future reference, that is something that you should never do. It is common on production instruments, because it saves time, but it makes for a hassle later on when you need to disassemble the pots. Always solder in a jumper wire, rather than bend the terminal back to the chassis.

9. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Duly noted, thx

LoveThatBass likes this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Would those jumper wires go to the pot or to a common ground? Instead of bending the tab over we solder a wire to the tab and then to the base of the pot, or to the tab and then to a common ground? Could we take a single wire and start it at the tone pot, then strip a section and solder it to the bridge vol pot than strip another section and solder that to the neck vol pot, then run it to a common ground?

11. It doesn't matter matter how you ground it, as long as it gets grounded. You just don't want to bend the tab straight back, because then you have to deal with getting all the solder off to pull it up again, if you need to take the case off of the pot.

12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I stumbled on something years ago that greatly reduces hum. I wire up the bass normally, then take along strand of heavier guage insulated wire (usually speaker wire), and starting at one pot solder it next to the existing ground. Move along the line to all of the components (including the bridge and output jack) with this extra ground, and not only does it insure against a broken ground wire during a gig, but it seems to reduce the hum at home around lights and other household electronic pests. Try it.

13. Just for clarification, what you have is a 2 gang pot. 2 groups of 3 connectors. Looking at each group of three individually, the outside connectors allow you to connect to either end of the taper. (500K ohms) The middle of the 3 connectors is the wiper. (the adjustable point along the 500K taper).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Gotcha. Thanks.

15. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    For the. center ground situation, I'd inclined to belive you could just twist/braid up a length of bare wire, and solider it across both center tabs, and bend it over across the back of the pot and solider it in place, then run your ground string as normal across all pots to the jack, when dealing with a stack pot, you still wire as you would to seperate pots for a diagram reference. that metal band sandwhiching the two plastic pots is your case, I belive. I JUST NOTICED SOMTHING, I THINK, NOT SURE. BUT THINK YOU HAVE THE WRONG TYPE POT, YOU SAID LINEAR TAPER, I THINK YOU NEED TO USE AUDIO TAPER.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  16. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    Also seymor Duncan has a nice easy to read diagram sectio with drop down choices for number of pups, type of controls etc, etc.....they are simple,laderdiagrams, rather than sshematics, very user friendly.....as another member stated above, for wiring purposes, ignore that you have a stacked pot, and wire them as you would two sepeate pots, keeping in mind chassis ground is comon regardless, so you have tons of flexibilty in that regard.