Stacked Tone Pot With Capacitor and Resistors? (Big Pics)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 20, 2005.

1. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Not sure where to exactly post this question, but I think this might be the most logical place...

Anyway, I have a question about pots, specifically a tone pot. Why the Resistors on mine?

My bass is a MIJ Jazz Bass Special. Comes with a passive P-J configuration, has three knobs and a 3-way selector toggle switch.

Two of the knobs are plain volume knobs (one for the P and one for the J), and then the tone knob is (stacked type?) applies to both pickups, depending where the toggle switch is located. (left of P, right for J, and middle for both)

I bought this bass used, and I think a lot of parts were changed, but I'm not sure. This pot configuration might be original, but I have now way of knowing.

I just installed SD Basslines 1/4 pounders and the bass sounds pretty decent overall.

I did a search on TB, and I found no mention of resistors for this application.

Do I need these and why are they there? Seems as if most other passive pickup configurations I’ve seen here just involve pots and capacitors, but no resistors.

Can someone here help me understand what's going?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the reply and link, David. That does explain it a little. I looked at the rating on my stack tone knob, and if I read it correctly, one control is 1M Ohm, and the other is 250K.... so I'm assuming that setup isn't factory.

I'll probably take it into a shop this week. I want to replace the pots because everything is corroded oxidized looking, but I'm not exactly sure what to order online as far as the tone control goes... so I guess I'll have the pros take a look at it.