1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stacked Vol/Blend pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Jul 17, 2012.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've searched, and this question hasn't been asked/answered in a few years. This is the only one anyone has mentioned. It's the MEC pot that comes in certain Warwick basses. It would be perfect if it didn't have the extra switch in it, making it too long to be practical inside most guitar control cavities.

I was wondering if anyone has in the meantime made anything similar? Or if there is a company that can be sourced to do so?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  3. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    This looks like it's a stacked Volume/Tone pot, not a stacked Vol/Balance pot. A Vol/Bal pot will need three sets of prongs.

4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    My East preamps have stacked Vol/Blend pots.

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do they sell their pots? I'd rather buy a $15 pot than a $300 preamp, haha.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    For a stacked volume and blend, assuming the blend is the regular dual ganged pot, you need a concentric triple deck pot. I think the only company that makes those (without them being custom orders) is MEC, and they aren't cheap.

7. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    The early 90s Fender Jazz Plus series had the Kubiki preamp, with a stacked volume/balance control. Perhaps look up Phil and see where he points you.

8. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's the one in my original post.

Phil? :confused:

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is there a place that can/will take this as a custom order? Just as a one-off.

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Phil Kubicki, sorry. The man behind the factor basses. Still in business, to my knowledge.

11. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, I'll look him up.

Edit: Shot him an email. I'll let you know what he says.

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    He's on vacation, but you should hear from him soon.

You can get them here. The last two entires on this page. The last one is a 250k blend with a 500k volume and a push pull.

http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC/?page=3

€61,31 = $75.94

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The cheapest small order place that I've found wanted a $150 set up fee. At that point, it's cheaper to go with an MEC (or two).

You could make your own, but you'd be surprised as to how difficult it is to find a company that makes both a single-gang and dual-gang pot in the values you need and with the wiper shafts the same size. Us Aguilar OBP-3 users have been looking for the same type of pot for years.

14. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Apparently since I started this thread, that model M89552 has been discontinued and replaced by the M88552. The website I posted in my OP was cheaper for the M89 as well as the M88 model (while it was still in stock).
    It's just so damn deep. The extra push/pull switch is so unnecessary and over-the-top. I mean seriously, 4 layers?? What else could you have fit into this one pot? A can opener and pasta colander? :rollno:

My whole reasoning for searching for a Vol/Bal pot is to save space in my control cavity...

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I think they make them that way because Warwick does the Vol/Blend Concentric pot with Active/Passive push pull option and that's what they already make. Again, you could probably have them make you a custom pot, but I can't guarantee you'll get away with anything under $100.

16. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Caca. :scowl:

I'll wait to hear back from Phil K, but I may just have to take some ingenuity to figure this out.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    If you want to do it, I believe MNAirhead is the one who successfully made his own. I tried his technique, and failed to make it last. His thread is somewhere in this subforum. Maybe a search for "DIY Custom Potentiometer" will net the results you want.

Basically, buy one of these concentric pots and one of these dual pots. Pull the bottom housing off of the concentric pot and use the pot housing + filament and wipers from the dual gang housing. The shafts are two different shapes, so you'd have to carefully super glue (or some other ingenious method) the wipers to the shaft.

Now, if you just need the common sizes, you might be able to buy a set of these as well and use the filaments and wipers from them to put in the dual gang housing, but I don't know that it will fit.

18. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Yes, indeed. These are for the active/passive option...or can be used for other purposes, too. On the Steve Bailey signature bass the volume/blend has a push/pull mid-boost, and on the treble/bass has a push/pull kill switch. Thanks!

19. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    I do have stacked vol/blend on a circuit board, I will post a pic.

The shafts are 8mm & 6mm diameter.

Blend is DUAL 250K M/N TAPER = both pickups max in centre click, Volume is 250K A (Log/Audio)

The blend pot is configured differently to the normal cross-wired standard method so that the impedance is similar to two volumes, although it can be configured in the standard way by changing some jumpers. (The normal way of wiring passive vol/blend makes the impedance resistance lower, equivalent to 3 pots in parallel)

20. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    The MEC is very expensive and the price keeps rising. I wanted to buy one last year, it was 35€, now it's more than 50!

Why not use a dual stacked volume pot like the original Jazz bass?