Stackin' the Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzV, May 26, 2001.

1. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I'm about to obtain a 1x15 cabinet to go with a 4x10. Currently, the 4x10 has casters attached. What's the best way to set the stack up? I'm inclined to remove the casters from the 4x10 and put it on top of the 1x15. The 1x15 doesn't have casters and I don't think it has holes for them, either. Since I generally end up pushing this thing from 1 room to another (church bass), the casters sure come in handy. The 1x15 weighs about 45 lb. The 4x10 is about 95 lb. I'd surely hate to lift this thing when I want to move it from room to room. Would I lose anything soundwise from putting the 1x15 on top (seems to me I would)?Any advice? On stacking cabs, that is? Thanks.
  2. Just a question: Why do you want to stack them anyways? Why not put them side by side, or, about 5 feet apart so they cover more space?
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It sounds like they're not pop-in/out casters. Can't you take them off the 10's and put them on the 15?

I've put casters on before into cabs that didn't have factory sleeves for them, and I'm a mechanical nincompoop. You get some self-drilling screws, a drill, and away you go. The bottom of cabs is just wood.

The slower response of the 15 just doesn't make it a pretty picture on top. But, you could always just give it a try on top. Some rooms are very forgiving or just sonically dead, (their acoustics make anything sound poorer).
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I recommend getting 4 swivel casters from a hardware store and mounting them to the bottom of your 1x15 cabinet. Don't get cheap casters - they won't last. Get some heavy-duty ones, with probably at least 2" diameter wheels on them. Even then, casters don't take an infinite beating, so avoid dropping the cabinet on them or rolling hard into bumps in the floor. Don't skimp on the screws either - make sure the screws are big enough and deep enough to secure them - there's a lot of stress on casters when you roll a 200-lb stack into an elevator threshold, for example.
    - Mike
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dolly(s) might be another option. Some 2"x6" stock,
    heavy-duty casters, stove bolts, lock washers, etc.
    A neat trick is to use lap joints, i.e., it'll hold the cab
    a little more securely.

End view:

______   v---- CAB ----v   ______
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

`Fess up, ND, you're Bob Villa!
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: That's the last time I give the impression that
    I know what I'm talkin' about :p

Nahhh. I'm more like Norm (Abrams)...boring personality
    but pretty dern competent :) .

I like (sleeve-less) flannel shirts.
  8. if you wanna stack them, put the 15 on a dolly cart, and then put the 4x10 on its sides ¥so the casters are sticking out on the sides, and not standing on the 15¤, so that it wont just "roll off"

Saw the bassplayer of the band opening for primus doing this with an Eden stack© He obviously didnt want to take on and off the casters, so he just put the top one on its side©
  9. id definitly put the 1x15 on bottom to move the floor, the slower response suits this best. not just my opinion......rock on
  10. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    The casters on the bottom of the 4x10 are screwed on, 4 screws for each caster. It would be fairly easy to remove them and then use them on the 1x15 instead. That would require a little bit of drilling. (Warranty issue?). I've got a dolly, so rolling the cabs individually on that is also an option. Is it preferable to let the cab make contact with the floor when playing rather than be on casters, or is the 2-3" gap not that important?

11. NOT IMPORTANT........oops caps