Stacking 112s vertically

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassosaurus, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Seems like most 112s, not all, are designed to be placed and stacked with their orientation horizontal (long side along the floor). Wondering if many people are stacking them oriented vertically (long side up and down)? I like to have a speaker (or two, or 4) close to my head and I'm 6'4". Wondering if stacking them with a vertical orientation would make them precarious (more likely to fall), especially with some of the newer cabs that are not very deep (like the Barefaced Super Compact at 12"D).

And what I'd REALLY like to know is why this Bergantino 112 cab seems to have the feet on the wrong side. When stacking this cab vertically (with the long side up and down rather that on the floor), wouldn't you want the tweeter up top instead of near the bottom?

edited: for clarity ...I hope :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Makes perfect since to me. Stack the cabs one way if you want the tweeter on top and stack the cabs the other way if you want the tweeter on the bottom. Note the cab dimensions 16-1/4”H x 18-1/2”W x 15”D, so the difference in height vs width is not huge. Regardless, the top cab is nowhere near you head, so your ears are likely to be out of the dispersion pattern for the upper mids unless you are standing a significant distance from your rig...I would tilt the top speaker back so it aims at my ears.

Or go crazy like I did and get four. I doubt I ever gig this quad of Uber Quads, but it definitely gets the sound to ear level.
    upload_2018-7-23_15-44-19.jpeg

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I agree, not that I use 1x12 cabinets anymore. When I did, up they went. :)

4. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Bergantino (2x)112’s work fantastic vertically stacked! When going vertical, many players (including myself) will turn off the bottom cab tweeter...

Stumbo, ErikP.Bass, smogg and 2 others like this.
  5. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I ran 3 stacked at my last gig Saturday......kept the 4th one at home ;)

Ampeg 3.jpg

6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Yep, vertical stacking for me too. I like having that 2d cab up closer to my ears.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    IMG_20161020_191415526~2.jpg *

*Full disclosure: I sold off the cabs a while back, but I did gig with them for a bit and the setup worked relatively well. I just never bonded with the cabs. I have no issues whatsoever with stacking cabs vertically.

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Well, you could argue that stacking horizontally isn't really stacking, is it? Sorry, I just felt like being the first smart arse to mention it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen 112s "stacked" horizontally.

mrjim123, Slater, Jeff Scott and 2 others like this.
  9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well, if you have a rectangle, you can have either a horizontal or vertical orientation. See the difference between my post above and, well... all of the other pictures posted thus far. There's vertical... and then there's vertical. ;)

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Oh, I bet that 80s P Elite II can generate some major thunder through that rig! :woot:

Stumbo, pjbassist and Wasnex like this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    A pair of 12s would probably be perfect for me in terms of my volume needs, but I use a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s because the stack is tall enough to get one or two speakers up close to my ears.

12. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Inactive

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    upwardly mobile

pcake and fretlessguy like this.
  13. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Not everyone wants the tweeter on top. The feet configuration gives the user options.

Bob_Ross and Kro like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly. The way it's shown in the pic you posted is the tweeter up option - at least as far as the manufacturer is concerned.

Having the tweeter towards the bottom is a legitimate option and preferred by some. I believe that typically tweeters disperse fairly well.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I don't understand why you're assuming that having the tweeter on top is somehow "better." Personally, I turn my tweeters off, but if I didn't I'm not sure that a tweeter is what I would want closest to my ears.

swpyne, pcake and Kro like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never seen two twelves horizontal on stage for a bass rig.

18. Maybe it's more important to have the port at the bottom than the tweeter at the top? I don't know. :thumbsdown:

19. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    This works for me.

NS-1.JPG

20. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm talking about it in vertical placement. So that the feet which are on the side in the picture would be on the bottom. That would place the tweeter at the bottom of the cab. I'm not a big tweeter guy anyway, and yes you could just put it sideways with the tweeter on the top. I'm just curious as to why they would put the feet on THAT side? Its seem most people would want the tweeter at the top if they were using it. How many PA or home stereo speakers do you see w/ the horn at the bottom?

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021