stacking Ampeg SVT-410HLF and SVT-15E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amatto82, Sep 3, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    exactly! i never have heard any cab that goes as low as the 410hlf, except of course for subs ;)

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    What I really wanna do is find an Ampeg 2x10, throw it on top of my 4x10 HLF and bi amp the cabs with a 800RB :)

3. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    I gigged two 410HLF cabs and a SVT-CL for years. Insane low end! :D I can't imagine someone ever needing to pair a HLF with anything other than another HLF. :p

I sold the CL and one cab two years ago for three reasons.
    1. GAS (needed a new fiver)
    2. 90% of all gigs I play supply a CL + 4, or 8x10 cab anyway.
    3. Heeeeaaaaavy lifting!

I decided to just stick to one cab and get a lightweight 500w head for it for those times I want/need to use my own rig. My pants still flabber in the wind when I stand in front of it. I can't say I ever needed the second cab...

And in regards to stacking them. The top cab tilts slightly upwards when you do, but I never had any problems. The wheels on the top cab lean against the railing on the bottom one. 3 rehearsals a week on average and countless gigs with that rig, and I never had any problems. YMMV of course.

4. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    @manndreas which head did you get? i'm a little worried my head will be underpowered for the 410hlf. it puts out about 250w @ 4ohms. guess it'll have to do while i save up for a new head!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    underpowering is a myth. and while the low end of the 410hlf would use more power to get it to the same volume levels as the sealed 410he, 250w will make it go pretty loud. i've often used an svt (300w) with a 410hlf and it powers it just fine.

6. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    Right now I use a Ashdown EVO-3 head.
    I've also used the cab with a svt-cl, a Warwick Quad-someting and a few different sized power-amps + my GT-10b. Never had any problems with volume. :)

I play in a ten-piece rock band with two(!) very heavy-handed drummers and I have no problems hearing myself. So I guess 250w will do for most people. Unless you rehearse at insane volume (like we do). Actually, this is the only band where not wearing earplugs is downright painful. :p Thank god I invested in custom-fitted plugs a few years ago.

7. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I run a SVT 410HEN and a SVT115E. Both 8 ohm cabs. Good punch from the 10's and deep bottom from the 15. Anyone else running a setup like this? I thought it was pretty common. I agree that the HLF 4 ohm would not work with the 15. But this does, for me anyway. But maybe my sound sucks.

That said, I'm moving toward a smaller rig... my back hurts. Berg 2x10 over a 1x15 or 1x12 compact cabs.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    "sucks" isn't the right word, although i must admit to never liking mixed cab rigs as much as matched cab rigs. and yes, it is pretty common, with your line of thought being the general line of thought, but really, if you were to use two 410hen's, i think you would see the same beefing up of the low end that you do with the 410hen/115e combination.

9. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    Only once have I been given a 410+115 combo on stage. It was the standard 410HE and whatever the 115 is called with an svt 3 or 2 I think. To be honest I didn't notice any wow effect.

I'm not saying it's useless though. But if it was me who rigged it, I'd just leave the 15" at home. :p

10. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    Dear Forum Contributors!

Thnaks again for your help above.

So a few months down the road, I now own the aformentioned 410 HLF. Until now I'm not getting much joy out of it though, which no doubt is due to the old head I'm using. So I come to you with the obvious question of what to upgrade to in terms of head.

I play in two bands, and in one of them I'm up against two Marshalls. So I NEED SERIOUS grunt in the rehearsals WITHOUT distorting, I just don't like it when distortion comes in, or farting (which I'm getting lots of at the mo, when I turn my head up. I guess that's because the amp is underpowered, 300w @ 8 ohm so prop approx 200 @ 4ohm)

I cannot affford an SVT pro, i am looking for something in a lower price range than that, as living in Switzerland everything is much more costly and we don't have much in the way of a second-hand market either. I looked at Markass LM II and GK 7000 rb but I can't try them out on my cab, as they don0t have it in the shop.

So I'm after ANY recommendations for cabs that will make my 410 HLF go LOUD AS IT WILL GO whilst staying as clean as possible, for rock without distorting (I can do without the warm vintage sounds of a tube amp of course, well I'll have to, won't I)

I'd be grateful for any help!:)

11. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    Two things to add to above post:

1) By Markass i meant MarkBass :)
    2) I forgot to mention that besides the two howling Marshalls, I am up against a drummer that knows one loudness only: Gorilla.

12. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    an yes, you will have noticed the watt/ohm figures of my existing head are wrong way round. sorry. not important though as it is almost on its way out the window

13. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    SVT810 and SVT410HLF are completely different sounding cabinets. First is closed and the second is ported.

14. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    thanks sten, yes i know, that wasn't the question now though. i need a head :)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    what head are you using that you won't get a wattage boost at 4 ohms? if it's 300w at 8, usually it gets 450-500w at 4, which is about where the 410hlf taps out. if it's volume you want, a second 410hlf will go a lot farther than a 200w wattage boost.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I can tell you from actual experience that the 700rb-II works very well with the SVT-410HLF, and will get really loud... I haven't paired up a LMII with one, but I have used an LMII a few times, and would guess that it work work OK...

In short - get a 700rb-II, and you'll be fine... Lastly - don't mistake the earlier 700rb for the later 700rb-II, as the 700rb-II is a much better amp...

- georgestrings

17. hkrobster

hkrobster

Jan 6, 2011
    jimmy, georgestrings et al.: picked up an rb 700 mk2 today and we're just half way through rehearsal. 4 words: i had not lived. thanks 2 u all i have found my rig. now i don't hear the bass, i feel the it.so jimmy, to take this up a notch for mid size venue i just double up the 410? and daisy chain them?

18. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    As an owner of the HLF cab and also an SVT 2pro i can say i see no reason why adding another cab would be a good idea or neccessary at all. That cab has so much low end and output its ridiculous! I wonder what two of them would sound like. That would be downright dangerous i would think. Sure the 810 moves more air and IMO sounds better with a tube head, but the low end of those cabs is no joke.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    YES AND NO. Unfortunately, the GK amp will only support a 4 ohm minimum load, and the 410hlf is already 4 ohms, so you cannot add another cab safely. In this situation, if you still need more volume, you'd need to either replace the 410hlf with 2 8 ohm 4x10's, OR, replace the head with one that will support a 2 ohm load, and then add another 410hlf. This stuff can be frustrating, as you probably realize, but nothing that large sums of cash can't resolve.

20. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    410 hlf with a sealed/ vented 2x10 on top would be better. Ran this rig for a time but came back home to an 8x10.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021