Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacking Ashdowns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul A, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    O.K, I have an Ashdown Electric Blue 15" 130 watt combo.
    I'm well pleased with it and it's very loud for it's size.
    I've been offered an Electric Blue 150 watt 15" for a silly price and was thinking about stacking them and using the line out of one into the input of the other.
    They are identical sizewise,and lookswise, the only difference being the 150 has the sub- harmoniser.
    Would I get much more headroom using this setup for bigger gigs?
    Any potential problems?

:confused:

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    IME, yes. I stacked two combos for awhile and it gave me much more tone and presence. Anytime you have more than one speaker operating you instantly get a boost in volume, tone, clarity and definition. I got so accustomed to it I finally dumped the combos and went back to a head and cab set up. For me, more speakers always make me more satisfied wiith my tone.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in the early 90's after my 4x12 + 1x18 bi-amped rig was stolen along with my Mapleglo 4003 and before I gathered up funds enough for my AMP + S12 &S15 Bag Ends....

I played a pawn shop Roland BN100 1x15 combo with the line out into the Crate G60 (1x12) I used for my guitar. I used the G60 mostly to dial in some high end dirt but it also added to my overall volume