Stacking cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Nov 17, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I have noticed that its a general trend to have a 4x10 cab on top of a 1x15, or at least have the smaller speakers towards the top of a stack.
    Personally think it looks better to have the small speakers at the top, but im just wondering what are the physical advantages of it?
    Are there any laws of physics that state that smaller speakers at the top of a bass rig = better sound reproduction????

2. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Not that I know of...

This is what I do know:
    High frequencies are uni-directional and low frequencies are omni-directional. Meaning that high frequencies are heard better when they are pointed at you. Lower frequencies can be heard from anywhere. I guess that's a good reason to have high frequencies up that they are closer to "head level" and can be heard.
    High frequencies also have shorter wavelengths, low frequencies have longer wavelengths. In order to really get a good perspective (-?, not sure if perspective is the right word) of the low frequencies you should stand further away.

Other than that I would have to crack my Physics book.
  3. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In most drive units, the dispersion decreases as the frequency increases. When you put four drivers together in a square configuration, you get the narrowest highs dispersion of all. So the only people who will hear the highs from a 4x are those at whom it is pointed. If the 4x is on the bottom, you won't hear the highs at all, but that poor schlub in the first row sure will. The best dispertion will be from either a 1x, or a single-wide stack. But:

The best low frequency response will be had with both cabinets on the floor, because when stacked the drivers in the top cabinet will have a dip in their frequency response that is dependent on their distance from the floor:

2 feet will notch at ~140Hz
    2.5' at ~112Hz
    3' at ~95 Hz
    3.5' at ~ 80Hz
    4' at ~ 70Hz
    5' at ~ 57Hz
    6' at ~ 47Hz
    7' at ~ 40Hz
    8' at ~ 35Hz

This takes us back to the 1x as the best for both highs dispersion and fullness of lows.
  4. my rule of thoguth is higher you put stuff more highs it has, thats why i wouldnt want a 1x15 on top cause its gotta be the ankle thumper
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I don't mean to be an *******, but I think more people would take your question seriously if you put another 10 seconds into typing. :)

As for the speaker question, I think the other guys nailed it.
  6. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's because you get bass cancellations when you raise it off the floor, making it seem like the highs are hotter. Plus, when did anyone ever tilt a floor cab enough that it was actually pointing at his head?

In most of the multi-10" vs 15" comparisons I have heard, the multi 10" box went deeper than the 15". Some 15" do have better highs dispersion than 4x10s, but that is usually their only advantage.
  7. i like feeling what im playing rather than a buncha highs in my face i want the floor the be shaking so everyone knows im there
  8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    and im sure a dead man dosent mean to be dead. but he still is none-the-less, anyway, refer to my sig.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think what he's trying to say is that if you spent just a little more time on your typing we wouldnt have to spend so much going back and reading it to make sure we know whats going on. That means its easier for us to respond.

Dont you want responses?

PS: A lot of 4-10s (newer designs at least) will give you more lows and the classic setup with the large diameter speakers on the bottom is looking more pointless as we see more of these casses.
  10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    ok i fixed things up, now lets see if i get any more responses............
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah. Mispelling the as 'teh' 3 times in a brief paragraph makes things a little hard to read. I mean, sure, it's a common mistake, but how long does it take to proof read things? Like I said, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to help you out by making your post more readable. I know some guys that won't respond to stuff like that- not little mispellings, but repeated ones and such.
  12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    yeh, i fixed it and i havnt got any more responses about the question yet, ill give it a few hours, then we will see if spelling 'the' as 'teh' really does mean i dont get my question answered, as it is, i understand why people would have the 15 on the bottom and the 410 on the top, so, even though i did make spelling errors, my question did get answered..........
  13. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    My rule of thumb is the more costly a piece of equipment is the closer it stays to the floor.
  14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    :) :p
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have to admit, I didn't respond to the initial post since it turned me off.

These are my personal observations. When a cabinet sits on the floor, it tends to couple with it, enhancing the low end response. That's why most people put their 15's on the bottom, since it enhances the purpose of the 15's. Putting the 10's on the bottom makes the 10's boomier like a 15, which defeats the purpose of having 10's in the first place.

Several months ago I replaced my 15 with another 4x10 cab, and now run TWO 4x10's regularly. When I A/B between the two identical cabinets, the one on the floor is definitely boomier, and has less defined midrange punch. The two together sound like gravy . . .
  16. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    so would you recommend two 4x10's or a 4x10 and a 1x15, i only play a 4 string and will never go below drop d......
  17. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    With most all cabinets, even 18" subs, when you put 40Hz in (open E) you get as much 80Hz and 160Hz out as you do 40Hz, so even with a 4 string un-dropped you need the box with the deepest response you can find.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    out of curiosity, were you standing up when you did the A/B test? I would have been crouching down so my ears were equidistant from each cab.