Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stacking cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 30, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Anybody think it'd be possible to stack two SWR Goliath Srs? I think they're be pretty freaking awesome....

~Patrick

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As a famous doctor once said...

Stack two Megoliaths and call me in the morning!

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i don't see why it wouldnt be possible, but if you decide to go this route i would stack them on their sides.

0 0 0
    0 0 0
    -----
    0 0 0
    0 0 0

would be much more stable than

0 0
    0 0
    0 0
    ---
    0 0
    0 0
    0 0

4. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I remember watching the Dixie Chicks on SNL and the bass player had 2 Ampeg 810s stacked on their sides...so Im sure it would work quite well

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I mean putting them upright, on top of each other. Or what we be an alternative to a Goliath with the same shape? a S.O.B.? Henry 8x8? I'd be using an SWR 750x.

~Patrick:bassist:

6. I would definately recommend placing it on it's side for stability.

As far as compatable cabs, I really like the combo of a Goliath Sr. on top of a Big Bertha

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rick Turner wrote an article in Bass Player Magazine a few years back about the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound." One of the things I remember was that stacking speakers high, according to Turner, will produce better sounding bass. See if you can find the article...it's a great read!:D

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you have ever seen King's X in concer, Doug Pinnick stacks his 8x10 svt's like this:

0000 l 0000 l 0000
    0000 l 0000 l 0000
    0000 l 0000 l 0000
    0000 l 0000 l 0000
    0000 l 0000 l 0000
    0000 l 0000 l 0000

Yes, that's 9 svt's stacked sideways and three high. Instense stage rumble!

9. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Is it enough for small club venues?:)

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've even seen him use that same stage rig in a small ~300 person club!

11. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    A rig like that is most likely just for show. I highly doubt that he powers all nine of those cabs.

12. You've obviously never caught King's X live then ;) . Doug is sooooo freakin' loud.

Actually, the last time I saw them, he didn't have all those cabs with him. I think since he started using in-ear monitors he's turned his stage volume down quite a bit.

13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ok, THAT in a 300 person club? holy monkey thats insane. I've played for crowds over 300 and I only use ONE cab!

ya gotta love it though, having a wall of speakers that large would make me feel like more of a man.

14. i have 2 SWR goliath III's (4x10) and a big bertha (2x15).

the 4x10 just does not sit all to well on top of the 2x15 (same cab shape/size as goliath sr). i mean it sits there and all but with a rocking/bouncing stage, i could see it falling over. i asked Kelly at SWR what they recommend and Kelly said they don't recomend stacking cabs on top of the "slant back cabs" like goliath sr. and big bertha.

if it were me, i'd lay your two sr's on their sides and stack them that way, that or just stand them upright next to each other...mmmm, wall of chrome.