1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stacking genz benz neo cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birdxofxprey, Apr 27, 2009.

1. haven't seen this issue come up before so here goes.

i have a GB neox 210t and a 212t - best cabs ever. i know how i want them stacked; 210 on the bottom horizontal, 212 on top vertical. that's how it sounds best to me.

the issue is one of stability. first, the neo cabs have wheels on the bottom (on the back) and feet on the bottom (on the front). the wheels and feet give the cab enough life that the "stackable" corners don't make contact with eachother. worse, with very little prompting, the wheels turn and the top (vertical 212) cab can shift backwards an inch or so and tilt.

i wedged some rubber in the wheels of the 212 so that they don't turn, and that seems ok for now. just wondering if anyone else had a better way to deal with this issue.

it probably doesn't help to have a 35 pound GB 750 on top of such a stack, but man does it kick major ass :D

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You're being silly. Put the 210T vertically on top of the 212 :)

Putting the 210 horizontally on the bottom just borks your midrange dispersion for no reason. It may sound better to you close up but it's not gonna fill the room the same way. Stack it the way it's designed.

3. well, we need not argue about whether or not i'm "borking" my mids... no matter which one is on top (vertically) the same problem arises. and it doesn't matter if the bottom cab is vertical or horizontal, the stackable corners don't touch because of the wheels and feet, so the top cab slides back.

i'm not asking for advice as to which configuration sounds best, but how to stack these two cabs so that the top cab (whatever it is) is stable.

thanks

4. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I've got the same issue with a couple of 212Ts. I am trying to find some 3" - 4" wide velcro that will stick to rat fur. The idea is to wrap it so the velcro is around the top of one cab and the bottom of the other.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I also use the NeoX cabs, but just have them side by side. Maybe you could try a few nails? (just kidding)

Good luck with a solution.

6. velcro would probably work, but it would take a toll on the rat fur after a while. are you stacking the 212s vertically? if so, that's a tall rig. keep us posted on the success of the velcro.

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    What about putting both cabs vertical, but with the top one upside down? Would the locking corners hook up then?

Cheers,
    Liam

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    +1. Your tweeters might sound a little bit more focused that way anyway. Sure, it looks goofy, but who cares.

9. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

I want to stack one on top the other to make it easier to hear myself.

Speaking of nails, I have considered drilling a couple of discreet holes into the tops and bottoms of the cabs and using dowel pins to keep the top one from falling off. Hopefully I'll find some way to stabilize them that doesn't involve modifications.

10. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

Sounds promising, but then I'd have to attach my saddle mount to the bottom of a cab. Not sure I want to do that.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Edword.

:eek: Please don't go drilling holes in your cabs until after agedhorse or hasbeen has weighed in on the GB cab stacking issue.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I've done a few tight spaced gigs where I stacked my 2 Neox 212T cabs vertically. Gotta admit I did not look in back to see what the caster wheels might be doing. I just lined up the corners, it felt pretty stable, placed my GBE750 on top and did the shows fine.
    Also, stacked em horizontal, works well, looks cool, is very stable, I prefer that setup.

Now when using 1 Neox 212T cab w/F1, for me, trying to lean it back did not work cause the wheels wanna roll. Guess I could try wedging something in there like mentioned above. But I imagine the plastic wheels might then just slip or slide.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A couple of strips of soft rubber like thick inner tube rubber or wetsuit dense closed cell foam rubber would work nicely and not jack up your cabinets.

Drilling holes in cabinets can lead to noise from the back pressure causing whistling and other noises when not filled. I think rubber strips is an easier way to keep from moving.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I use closed cell rubber foam for stacking my cabs with non-locking corners. Works good.

15. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Been experimenting, and I seem to have found my solution. I laid a piece of 1" thick foam rubber cut to the same size as the footprint of the cab on top of it, with clearance holes in it for the feet and wheels of the upper cab.

AFAICT, it's holding the upper cab tighter than a midget's fist. Done.

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I suggested this same fix to somebody about 6 months ago for stacking 410HLF's.

Another thought. You know those pole sockets on Sub woofers? Blow one of those into your bottom cab and its mate into the bottom of the top cab. Make the connecting pole just long enough to hold the top cab in place not float above the bottom cab.

I'm going to stack 4 - 810 cabs vertically standing on end 16 feet tall with this method... I'm going to test it next to my wife's caddy in the garage. :scowl:

OVER...

17. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

Thanks for the tip! Just before I came upon this solution, I considered removing two screws that are directly in line with each other from the top and bottom plastic corner pieces and using a nail or something as a dowel pin through the holes. Won't even have to do that now.

18. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Re: Post 16, you did say 4 8x10s, didn't you? Sheesh!

19. i've got a simple solution to the stacking problem that should work with just about any cabs.

get a machine threaded headless bolt (longer than your cab is deep) that is 1/4 inch in diameter, two large washers with a 1/4 inch hole, and two large disks (metal or hard plastic, with a diamteter larger than the space between your stacked cabs) with holes in the middle that are smaller than your washers.

put the bolt between the cabs front to back.

cut soft rubber pads to put onto each end of the bolt (one sticking out the front and the other sticking out the back).

put the large disks over the rubber pads, then put the washers over the large disks (I put more rubber between the washers and disks).

finally, tighten each end with a 1/4 wingnut.

presto - a cab-clip that holds the cabs in place, no sliding. this requires no mods to any cabs.

total cost for mine - about $7.

pictures below.

:D