Stacking hard cases - how many's "too many"?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by kumimajava, Feb 25, 2018.

1. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    There are many threads about gear storage here on TB - and the consensus seems to be to either: a) keep the basses on stands & cases in the basement/attic, or b) stand bass cases/gig-bags upright.

Given the space constraints of the (small Japanese) apartment I live in, neither of those options is really feasible long term.

The most sustainable longer-term storage option is to stack hard-cases horizontally. I know this means it's hassle to dig out a bass that is not on top, but that's a better option that knocking it over from a stand in a cramped apartment :(

So the question would be - for those who have done this: how many hard-cases would you be comfortable stacking? Two/three/four?

Any advice warmly welcome :)

2. Depends on the type of hard case and weight. An Anvil spec'd road case is going to be able to endure a lot more weight than a pressboard-style cheap Old school fender style case. With the cheap cases, I probably wouldn't go more than four or five. The molded sbk cases are a lot more durable and can handle a lot more weight. Of course the anvil style road cases could be stacked to the ceiling without any issues.

kumimajava likes this.
  3. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for the quick answer. Not quite sure what they're made of, but it feels like wood/plywood. A couple of them are branded as "TKL", and look something like this:

[​IMG]
    1055?version=7&s=001.png
    Anyways, I think 4-5 should be more than enough - for now :)

JGbassman likes this.
  4. Those are the lighter weight ones that flex so I'd be hesitant to put too much weight on them. Something else you might try is placing 1 inch square pieces of wood across the ends of the cases before you stack them. That would put the weight on the ends instead of across the weaker middle of the case, hopefully keeping any sag away from the basses inside. The ends would be typically stronger and able to handle the weight a bit better without distorting the case.

kumimajava likes this.
  5. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for that advice - makes a lot of sense. Will definitely try :)

JGbassman likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021