1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stacking Preamps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience stacking or blending preamps for tonal variety or improvement. I have a vt bass and bddi, and they seem to go well together (with the blend on the bddi around noon). Any other great preamp combinations... tone hammer, m80 etc?

2. kzr750r1

kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    NorCal
    Going to be experementing with this soon as I have a VT-RM on the way and have a BDDI on the PT1. I was pretty much expecting to punt the BDDI off the board but of course need to mess with both before I decide to do so. In researching rack mount preamp options I have read some so stack preamps... It's done but not often.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I use to be a preamp freak I stacked multiple preamps and could get any tone I wanted it was an addiction.:)

Here's a picture of my old board

2013-05-16203900_zps75f8724f.

jd_watt likes this.
  4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have cascaded channels into one another on my Alembic F2B and prototype A-Design / REDDI ( formerly the G-Spot Pre) KGB Dual mono Preamp.. Bass into Channel "A" out of "A" into input of "B" then out of "B" to poweramp with some good results..

5. I've never seen the point myself. I like the sound of my bass, and I like the onboard active pre. I'm usually adjusting the amp to get in the ball park, and then tweaking with the pre. I like to think I have my sound, and I use it for everything.

6. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Definitely see your point RDUB. I play a passive P though. Some of the extra outboard flexibility gets interesting.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don't know bud. I play passive basses too. And for me I want my preamps to be delivering as much of the natural sound of my bass and whatever effects I choose to my rig and then to the board through the DI. If I need more than one for that to happen, I must be doing something wrong. Now if you are using the drive on the preamps or other tonal properties of a pedal in particular then I kinda get it. But in the pure "preamp" world, I only have use for one.

jd_watt likes this.