Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiliwilli, Jul 10, 2002.

1. By the end of the year sometime, i want to invest in a stronger amp, and i've already owned 2 combos and i want to make the switch to stacks

I own a 100/120 Watt swr combo

As far as musical equipment goes, I'm a little clueless sometimes! :( Buuut, latley, at my dayjob, i've been researching on the net on how to set up these head/cab things -- meanwhile, i'm getting paid (Shhwing!)

soon i will have saved up to the quadruple digits to go towards new equipment, plus, i'm planning to sell my elec guitar

I'm in a trio, sometimes quartet, with some pretty loud, envangarde dudes. If i bought, oh, say a 250 watt head wtih a 1x15 150 cab, would i only have 100 more watts reserved for expansion? What are ohms??

Basically, my questions are -- What is a good head unit to start off with, and what are ohms?
  2. as much as i'd love to explain it to you, the AMP FAQ will probly do a bewtter job. look in the FAQ in at the top of the screen.
    good luck

3. The cab needs to be able to handle more wattage than the power amp puts out. If you get a 250 watt head and only have the 150 watt cab, you're likely gonna blow some speakers. Of course then you have to look at ohms etc...
  4. ahh screwit, i'll get the 101 at gc or somethin, i have to go their today anyways
  5. thanks tho -- :cool: wish me luck on this!
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    That's only true if you're really pushing it with the volume/low end. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

Chilliwilli- The power rating on the cabs tells you how much power the cabs handle, not how much they'll take from your amp. You find that out from the ohms, and the specs on your amp. Look around the amp forum for a while and you'll learn a lot.