Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stafford James & His Outstanding Site

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Staff has been one of my main guys from the word 'go.' Growing up in Hartford, Connecticut I used to see him often with guys like Louis Hayes, Woody Shaw and Frank Strozier. His playing on Dexter Gordon's Homecoming, in particular, was my textbook for ass-kicking walking bass.

I just gave him a lookup on the web, and lo and behold, from Paris, France, www.StaffordJames.com pops up. Staff tells his exciting story in detail. Great site, great player. Any other fans 'round here?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    ME!ME! Thanks for the link, I'm headed over there.

3. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Good read. Hard to be a fan 'cause i just now learned of him. i'll check out some of his stuff.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Mr. James' site has a new section entitled "Le Gecko" presenting his new CD by the same name. The project focuses on his compositions, which cover the spectrum from melodic modern jazz to funk, and particularly highlight Mr. James' work with the bow.

This looks like a very interesting project and I'll be putting my order in shortly. Take a look . . . what a fine musician . . .

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i loved that Homecoming album and yes, Mr. James is an excellent musician