1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stage amps, FOH, & pod things

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gibson G-3, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Hello: I've played for forever using smallish 1-15" or 1-18" cabs either head/cab or combo amps, and most of those years didn't go through the main PA.

Now, playing in a more R&R band, I've toyed with and decided against using a larger, more complicated on-stage amp setup, if for no other reason than hauling gear. To get better band balance, though, I plan to go through FOH.

But I want a __better__ sound FOH, if I can possibly get it.

I have yet to find strings that hold a good timbre & sparkle past 6 jobs, maybe it's just cheap strings I pick.

Now to the reason for posting: I'm willing to buy one of those amp/cab modeller / effects boxes (w/ or w/o expression pedal). If I run my 1-15" Roland combo amp + my 1-15" Hartke combo amp on stage just for stage coverage, and go through a preamp out through a modeller / effect box for FOH, can I get a __substantial__ improvement in my sound?

Meaning, partially, can these modeller / effect boxes make up for dying strings, but moreso, is there enough audio modification at FOH that it makes the modeller / effect box worth it?

Thanks.

2. well, a POD can only work with the signal you give it, so i don't think that it can give you a bright sounding string, that kinda makes me think of the way that people want an effect to give that slap sound. I think that you could crank the treble on the POD to add some sparkle, but otherwise you might just want to look at a different brand/kind of strings...
    i also might not have understood your question :)

3. Yeah, I guess now I just have to search for strings that sounds good, last as long as possible, and are the least expensive.

I revised my rig to be 1-18" + 4-10" biamped, run off a new Line 6 Bass Podxt Live. Just vanilla through the footpedal, no eq, the bass sounds like pooh. When I start fiddling around with EQ (the footpedal has 6-band parametric EQ on each patch), mostly the sound gets worse, muddy, boomy.

I think it's the strings. Sounds so obvious, I guess this is delusion on my part. I have a new set to put on to A-B the sound.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, you may already have your answer. Besides, why pay a couple hundred bucks for a digital device that may or may not do what you want, when paying just a little extra on strings each time will do it for sure?

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    For strings, I'd recomend D'Addario or DRs. I've played both, and it's hard to recomend one over the other :bassist:

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It seems you are talking about 2 different things.

First, the string/bright issue. Try spending a little more on good strings. I use DR Highbeans and they last a long time - IMO.

Second, the hauling gear issue. Many people use a Pod with great success. If you don't want to haul gear, and have a good PA/Monitor system, it's a good idea. If less gear and clean FOH is what you want, why would you bring your amps? Leave them at home.

7. yeah, i think its more the strings than the POD, because i have heard some decent sound clips with the bass POD.

as for strings that are sound good, last as long as possible, and are the least expensive. good luck. I think thats what just about all bass players are looking for. I think you might have to spend a few extra bucks for some quality strings, and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Of course, maybe if you are looking for a really bright and sparkly sound, you could try playing with a pick? I don't know if thats your thing, but its another solution...

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Heck, I've used some pretty cheap strings. I never have problems, though they may not be my faves (I try a LOT of strings and gauges). And I've been using the V-Bass for ages, often direct into the PA or in combination. I send exactly the same signal to the board as what my bass rig gets, usually no additonal EQ tweaking on either.

Make sure your bass is set up well, your technique is good, and your equipment is well-matched.