Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stage clothes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TK65, Jun 3, 2003.

1. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    OK, I know this is a little silly, but, hey - so am I.

My current project is an 80's metal/hair tribute thing (appropriately enough, called Headbanger's Ball). We're doing the whole 80's thing - Dokken, Ratt, Warrant, Jovi, Poison, etc. I personally would rather still be playing with the jazz orchestra I used to play with, but that's another story...

Anyway, we want to do this "right". Not just the music, but the attitude, look, etc - we're trying to put on a "show", not just stand up and play. So, I've been trying to find stage clothes of the era - zebra, leopard, spandex, sequins, leather, etc. Surprisingly, I've had practically no luck finding these types of clothes online - and I've searched, alot!

Anyone have a decent source (preferably online) where we can pick up some of these flashy threads?

Thanks!

K.
    http://www.carvinbassmuseum.com

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you could try eBay.

Similarly, I joined a Country band and I spent some time hat shopping online today... turns out my head is exactly one size bigger then the hats 99% of the hat makers make :rolleyes: Found one on eBay thou!

I didn't have the strength to move on to boots, maybe tomorrow ;)

3. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Yeah, I've tried eBay, without much success - the only leopard spandex is in thong form - and who would wanna see *that*?!

I have seen lotsa nice boots up there though - go forth and shop!

4. Thrift Store

Flea Market

all that good stuff,or be creative...and make some stuff/alter old clothes to make it look like it.

have fuN!

-Jon:oops:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In our funkier "arty-farty" suburbs, there are a gazillion stores that sell "recycled clothing". That's just a nice way of saying really wierd and wonderful clothes that are no longer in fashion. Do they have anything like that in your neck of the woods?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    other than riding a motorbike, I can safely say I can not think of a single situation where leather pants would come i handy :)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Substitute riding chaps?

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Ah memories. Ihad a girlfriend that was a competent, if somewhat twisted seamstress in the mid-to-late '80's. She decided I needed more interesting stage clothes and got a pattern for...

wait for it...

a tuxedo.

That's right I once had three, count 'em three tux jackets in my closet. One zebra. One tiger. One camouflage.

The horror. The horror.

:bag:

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Are you near the Atlanta area? If so, check out Junkman's Daughter in Little Five Points. Pricey, but almost anything you can want in funky clothing. Found it with Yahoo search, but couldn't find a link. Also try vintagepimp.com.

At the risk of an online flogging, may I suggest that when you go looking for pants, go to the women's section. Yea. That's right. Seriously, most men's pants are b-o-r-i-n-g!! Cut straight and flat with no personality. Why should girls get to have all the fun with clothing while us guys get stuck with bland, ugly pants? Why not cash in on some of it? Some of their pants even have STRETCH in them! WOW! The good thing is you can go to a bargain house like Goody's or Wal-Mart and buy very cool stage pants for cheap! You'll look like you went to some mega-hip clothing boutique and spent gobs of cash, and no one has to know! And, if you can wear your wife or girlfriend's size, think of the money you'll save. Get your manhood intact and go check it out!

Let the flaming begin!!!

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Although it's sometimes tough to admit it now, I was in a metal band in Hollywood in the late 80s. Bloodshot. Tight clothes, hairspray, makeup, the works. Remember to suck your cheeks in for the promo photos ("just a little pout... there! nice!)

There, that should divert the flaming from you Ineal.

Actually, it was one of my harder gigs, a real right-hand workout, keeping all those 16ths perfectly tight with the drums. On the good side, GROUPIES! I was the cute one ;) And roadies! Roadies are awesome, big huge guys that carry all your stuff, call you "the talent," and threaten sound guys when your monitor mix isn't to your liking. Anyway, did I mention the GROUPIES?!

Good luck, have fun with the gig! BTW, still have some of the clothes, not that I could come close to fitting in them anymore (barely could back then, no secrets in spandex pants).

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nothing to be ashamed of at all in my book at all, TK. The "look" often helps sign your paychecks. No one cares to go out on a Friday night to see someone who looks like Ralph or Francis in Accounts Receivable or some schlub who looks like they've been dumpster diving.

I've bought stuff from www.pimpit.com for a lot of my stage wear when the gig doesn't warrant t-shirts or wearing all black. That stuff has a place, too.

The example below from PimpIt is one of the reasons I buy from them because it's definitely "stage fashion" that helps set you apart. Maybe it could be the kind of thing that's right for your gig -

[​IMG]

12. At a Creed concert? ;)

13. My stage clothes:

Boxers, Pants(or shorts), shirt, socks, shoes.

14. That's the only way to go...I'm thinking for the Battle of the Bands coming up at the end of the month, I might go onstage in a pair of American Eagle shorts and an American Eagle shirt (off of clearance no less, and hey, I have basses to support!), while my singer and lead guitarist will come up in ripped jeans and ripped jean jackets...

Geez they are superficial and complacent. I really could care less.

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I refer you to rickbass' earlier quote:

And I would like to expand the list of things people don't wanna see on Friday night to include band members who look like they just got out of class at school. They may be superficial and complacent, but at least they understand what people wanna see!

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Must....resist.... temptation....to.....post.... one-liners.... from..... Spinal Tap!

:)

18. Hmmm...I'll pose a question for you...

Would you rather see a band that a)sucks but they look like rockers or b) see a band that may not be dressed very "hip", but just rule on their instruments?

I'd vote for b.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Well, I'm sorry I don't have a list of clothing suppliers to pass along, but thought I'd send my words of appreciation for taking the time to consider wardrobe as part of the 'whole' band's stage presence...

A keyboard player friend of mine has a 20 yr. old son that plays drums in a heavy-metal, chainsaw rock n' roll band. Personally, I don't care all that much for the music they play - of the four members, two of them; Adam on Drums and the Rhythm Guitarist, are good enough to land themselves in a another group - but, once in awhile, I go to a gig and give them some support.

At any rate, their 'wardrobe' for shows is a mismash of, and barely above, what you would expect to see on someone pushing a shopping cart through the city streets at 4:00 a.m.

-Adam stays pretty busy behing the kit and wears comfortable shorts only

-Rhythm Guitarist in beat-up "P.F. Flyers", raggy jeans and whatever T-shirt he wore that week

-Lead Guitarist walks in his barefeet along dirt roads and in the city for a day or two before coming to a gig (still without his shoes), whatever ragged jeans or corduroys haven't reached their 30-day wearing cycle and, depending on climate conditions, an old T-shirt he'd found in the trunk of his car

-Bassist, of whom doubles on screaming some uninteligible whatever into the mic, appears to keep his clothes on some consistant wash schedule - despite their very worn condition

As someone else has so eloquently stated; .."seeing some shlub that looks like they've been dumpster diving"... isn't it something like; 60% of how you look, 35% of how you play, and 5% of what you play??

I commend you and your group for taking the time to 'do it right' and give your audience a "show" to both 'see' and 'hear'.

Hang in there and good luck with your search, michael s.