Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stage Hogging - Uncool?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WillCO, Mar 18, 2006.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Last night I played a gig where backline equipment was available. It was one set follwed by a second set in each of two adjacent clubs doing a joint St. Patrick's Day party. There were bunches of bands circulating through, playing a set at each bar.

The first set was non-eventful, although I didn't like the backline equipment too much (kudos to Avatar speakers, boy, I really missed mine).

I walk into the second club and am blown away by what I see on the stage. It's an Accugroove el Whappo with an Ampeg 4x10 on top of it, with a nice EBS head on top of that. "Now, this is some nice backline!" I say to myself, and commence to get my stuff set up.

As I begin to fiddle with the head, this guy walks up to me and asks me what I think I'm doing.

Me: "Setting up for my set"

He: "Not with that amp you're not"

Me: "Isn't this the backline?"

He: "No, the backline is over here", at which point he hauls out some old off-brand 4x10 from behind the drum kit.

Me: "Whose rig is this?"

He: "It's mine, my band is playing later."

So, this guy, whom I will assume was playing last, had brought his enormous rig and laid it down on the very small stage, where it took up way more space than it left available. We had to squeeze up there pretty tight for our set, not to mention that I had to play through crummy backline again.

Needless to say, I'm bringing my own stuff from here on out. But, my question is, am I off base to think this guy committed a party foul by hogging the stage with his gear the whole night and making space everyone else's problem, or am I just being pissy?

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah... the least he could do was let you use his good stuff... ah well, some people are jerks... :meh:

3. If you were the "opening band" (i.e. lower paid, less known), that's life. If you weren't, tell the guy to get his $hit off the stage.

4. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I found out that this guy has a regular gig at this particular bar, and he probably leaves his rig there all the time. So I think that I was the "opening band" at least in his mind. However I'd never heard of him, nor he me, so we were even there.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    "So, what do you think you're doing?"

Hmmm, sounded like a great brother musician.

Not.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I would not want someone using my gear I don't know!!!! what there time in the set change to get his rig up and runnig?

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That's probably the NICEST thing I'd say if I saw someone twiddling with my amp without permission.

8. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    If the stage is too small to "layer" the backlines in order that the bands appear, the "headliner" should do a "soft" setup. Load in, unpack, get all the cables ready, and set it to the side. I've been dealing with this for so long..... trying to teach musicians proper behavior is such a beat-down.

The guy was wrong. But those guys are always wrong. Tip his rig over next time.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Its like this, unless he was supplying his rig as backline for everyband it shouldn't have been up there. If it was a situation where he was a headliner and your band was supporting them then he should have his rig all the way back and your rig in front. It sounds like it wasn't that kind of show anad that kind of stage.

He should have moved his stuff.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. Very rude.

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, man, if the bar owner says, "Hey, just set your stuff up on stage. Everyone else will just work around it," then that's what I'm going to do. Party foul as it may be, who knows?

But yeah, if I've set up per the instructions given to me by the bar owner, and some dude starts walking up and messing with my rig, I'm not sure how polite I'll be. "Can I help you?" will be my first question. The second one will be a lot less cordial.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We played a marathon gig from 5pm until 2 am last night, broked into sets, and an hour break between 9-10. The first sehment until 9 was acoustic, 10-2 regular show. I don't know WHO arranged this, but some brazilian douchebag was there, and was going to "play a couple songs" on our 9-10 break. That jackhole started with "I shot the sheriff", and played other horrible stuff that sounded like one nonstop crap song for the ENTIRE HOUR BREAK. Nothing like a rasta man singing with a brazilian accent. I mean, it just sucked.

He totally killed the crowd too, a ton of people left. He never did stop until we came back up and had to tell him show's over, pedro. Then, we had a delay since the jackhole detuned the guitar he borrowed a whole step. I was worried he'd killed the crowd for us, but maybe he actually helped us.....we had one of the best show's we'd had in 3 years.

Still, I'd like to nominate March as douchebag awareness month. As Cheezewiz says, only you can stop a douchebag.

13. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The way you word this suggests that I was some schmo who walked up onto this guy's stage and started fiddling with his amp. At the time, it was in fact MY stage, and I was told to expect backline. This guy had moved the actual backline and dropped it behind the drum kit - literally moved it in order to make room for his stuff. I think anyone walking into the bar in my situation would have had to assume that his rig was the (albeit abnormally nice) backline. If I had not made that assumption, I wouldn't have touched it.

If it had been me - and maybe only to make sure nobody DID mess with my rig - I would have put MY stuff behind the drum kit, left the backline in the front, and then switched them before my set. This guy did the opposite.

Plus, you had to be there to get the gist of the guy's attitude. He exuded "this is my room, you're lucky to be in it, and this is certainly my rig, get the hell away from it."

I suppose if I were on the other side, I wouldn't have let the guy play through my rig, but I would have handled the conversation a little differently. That's just my way.

14. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I am like you also. An ounce of honey yields more than a pound of gall. That bassist may be at your mercy someday heh.

Yeah I thought Tim's post was odd too.

DCat,

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That rig probably shouldn't have been in the free fire zone but, I've been doing this a LOOOOOOOONG time, you see a rig like that, it ain't backline it's private stock.

I wouldn't have gone near it without checking first.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Mistake or not, the attitude of the guy who owned the *precious* equipment was rude and childish.

Friendly and mature people don't talk to others like that.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Doh, I must admit that I hadn't read the thread before I posted. It's still related though, as you DON'T dick with other people's stuff without asking, especially at someone ELSE'S show. I don't blame the guy a bit. Now, I know there are a lot of good knowledgeable people around, especially on TB, but for every one of them, there are 50 morons who don't know how to EQ, or take care of equipment. They can go blow their own stuff up, and keep their mitts off mine. I think the guy handled it rather calmly personally, it was HIS gear at HIS gig.

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    OK Will, I checked you profile and website.

At 30+ years old I would have probably snapped at you as well thinking that you ain't a kid and should have known better.

However, I would have heard about 30 seconds of what you do and I would have walked onstage and plugged you into my rig and apologized afterward.

Can't be too careful and all that. You can use my rig anytime.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    After checking out your site, I'll give a big +1. Too bad there aren't more guys around who know their stuff.

20. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You guys are too kind. Thank you for those fine compliments.