Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stage lighting novice help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassguppy, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hello all:

I did a search & this seems to be a topic with less discussion than most (no suprise this is a bassists board). :bassist:

I have absolutely no experience with lighting, but I want to purchase a small setup as my contribution to my blues band. My thoughts were first to pick up pre-packaged light system by Chauvet or American DJ. But while looking at stuff on Ebay, it seems I may be able to get "no name" brands cheaper. I'd like to keep it between $300-500.00.

If I go the ebay route, what would you suggest. New or used doesn't matter. My thoughts would be maybe 4 Par 56's & 4 or 6 Par 38's. I'm not interested in say effect lighting, like strobes, fogger, etc....mainly just want enough to light most small-medium stage areas. mostly set it & forget it. I plan on running the lights by foot controller, what type would you recommend.

Also, a possible silly question but mainly want clarification & I don't want to screw up. On dimmer packs, to save money if I had a 4 channel pack with 4 edison sockets. If each channel was capable of handling 600 watts could I hook up 2 pars at 300 or less watts to 1 edison socket.

Feel free to give any advice or other suggestions and if anything I stated you don't think is wise please correct me.

All info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For small venues, stick with 38's. No need to pay for/cart around 56's in most circumstances, unless they are larger stages. For bars, four 38's per side is plenty.

American DJ makes a dimmer pack with two dozen or so patterns, footswitchable, for $99 a side, linkable with a mic cord. Two fairly cheap collapsable trees, and ANY eight 38 cans and you're in business.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound