Stage Monitoring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I currently run a Warwick Pro Fet IV thru a 2x10 and 1x15..... and have to compete with a mesa dual rec and Marshal TSL. so im looking for some extra onstage monitoring..... can any one suggest either active or passive monitor(s)

2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have the same problem - bloody guitarists.

I went to the trouble of building 2 bass wedges. One is a single 15 and the other is a 2x10, both have horns. I then bought a 400w head to run them. I try to place them either side of my vocal wedge if possib;e

Behind me I've got another single 15 and a 4x10, with a matching 400w amp to run them. All up 800w into 4 cabinets, 2 behind me in the traditional spot, 2 in front of me as wedges. Problem solved.

Look aroound because some of the bass amp manufacturers have started selling bass wedge cabs. I know that Eden has a 2x10.

Click here for Eden Wedge

I believe GK also has one.

Good luck. Let me know how you go.
  3. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    i am thinking about buying a 4x10 to use in my main rig in place of the 2x10..... how easy would it be to convert the 2x10 to a wedge shape (or build a new cab and just use the existing drivers and hardware on it).

Im thinking about getting a large power amp to drive my 1x15 and 4x10 and then just use the warwick amp to power the monitor.

does this sound like a good idea???
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wouldn't butcher your existing cab. Build a new one. That way it won't matter if you don't quite get it right....

I had a lot of fun building my wedges. If you've got some power tools in the garage and are comfortable working with timber, you should be OK. Transfering the components isn't too hard if you know how to solder.

Your idea sounds good. I'm not a fan of using 2x10 on their own but you'll have a 15 and a 4x10 to back it up. It will sound huge. See how if goes and if you still want more, build a second wedge - you'll know what your doing second time round. My first wedge too me 2 weeks, the second one only took 2 afternoons.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    SWR makes a bass monitor that's a single 12. 250watts, 8 ohms.
    If you do decide to use the 2x10 that you'll be taking out of your rig, I'd build a new cab, too. If you decide you don't want that anymore, you could always put the speakers and all back into the empty 2x10 cab and you've got that back as part of your rig for great flexibility.
    Carvin makes powered monitors with either 12s or 15s. A bunch of other companies do, too, but these are the first two that come to mind.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just started using in-ear monitors. They work pretty well. The in-ears also work as earplugs so I don't have to turn them up very loud at all to hear.
    Beats the heck outta blaring a stage monitor at yourself.

brad cook
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, you don't need to modify your 2x10" much to make it suitable for monitoring. Just figure a way to tilt it back and you're set - adding a folding handle to the bottom or back would probably be the easiest way.

You could even drive it with the very same head you are using now, if both the 2x10" and the 4x10" are 8ohm cabs.
  8. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    one of my guitarists had a fender twin, which had legs fitted to the side that he could use to tilt the cab back... can you buy these??

9. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    When I want to use my 2x10 as a monitor I use two thick wood wedges that have "hook" velcro attached to their long sides (this only works if your cab is carpet covered). One goes under the cab to angle it up and one goes on back to prevent the cab from tipping backwards if I've got it at a steep angle. Simple and cheap.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh and those Fender twin style legs work great on carpet stages but fall over on anything slightly slipery. I've been to plenty of gigs where one minute everything sounds great, next minute there's a thud and the guitar amp is suddenly lying on it's back facing the ceiling. They would work better if they had rubber feet.

Before I built the wedges, I used a metal stand that was actually designed for picking your speaker up off the groung and tilting it back. I found that if I didn't unfold it, it would lay on the ground at a great angle for monitoring. The reason I stopped doing that is because a 2x10 tilted back this way actually sands up considerably higher than a wedge. It looked a bit wierd, which may not be an issue for most people, but it bugged me a bit.
  11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    When we reach the point where we're adding cabinet after cabinet, amp after amp and now adding monitors on top of it, does it not seem like common sense should kick some point. We are, after all, BASS PLAYERS, the HIGHEST form of musical life. Are we not??

My recommendation: Counseling for your guitar players. Convince them that EVERYONE will be happier and live longer and more productive lives if they'll simply TURN DOWN! :p

Bass-ically Yours,
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (smiling)..... Rich, you just described heaven. I reckon we'll get up there to find they offer the option of Harps or Bass. Down in Hell, you get a guitar, an acordion, or bagpipes...........

Has anyone here ever successfully convinced a guitarist to turn down other than by putting sheet music in front of him. Please I'd love to know how you did it..........
  13. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I think that any guitar amp with over 50watts should be banned from smal venues...... ill make an exception for stadiums.
  14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    We ask in the posts above "How do you convince a guitarist to turn down?" The answer is, actually, quite simple: You PROVE to them that it's the right thing to do.

If a simple demonstration doesn't do it, you firmly let the offensive player know that his/her volume-knob over-actions are hurting the overall MISSION of the band and that if it doesn't improve, YOU'LL take your PA and look elsewhere.

Now, since EVERY band that I have EVER seen has a PA which is owned by the bass player, (Am I correct there?) chances are VERY good that the volume hound will pay attention. ;)

Bass Players are also much harder to find than guitarists. This adds even more cards to YOUR deck.

The Bottom Line is simple my friends, and anyone who has read more than two of my posts over the past ten years knows that I FIRMLY believe it. The key to life, "band-life" or normal, is to continually simplify.

IMHO, we CAN get "bodies" back in venues by doing a couple of easy things.

#1. TURN DOWN!
    #2. Use a LOT less gear to fill the size venues that you're playing in.
    #3. Begin your program EARLIER!

Is it not more possible to FILL a club by beginning your performance at 8 PM than by beginning at 11PM? Check the "street stats" and see who's out roaming the city at 2 AM.

Last but not least, MOST of us on these forums keep handing the younger "inquiering minds", the "beginners", the same old song and dance about the need and quest for power. You NEED 500 watts. You NEED 8 speaker cabinets. You need the VERY best gear that you can (usually NOT) afford. I say HUMBUG. You need to get gear that you can move without a truck. You can buy a bass and a small amp in a Bass PAK for $299 AND actually "play out" with them.

Power isn't the answer...........MAKING MUSIC and HAVING fun with your friends IS the answer. Try it, you might like it.

Bass-ically Yours,
  15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i never had a problem with my guitarist turning his stuff up during practice. i just take my 215 212 cab with 350 watts and put it on 5 and he stops. i over power a very loud drummer.
    but now that he started to us a 412 on stage it has become a problem.
    and yes i will take the pa with me.
    along with my guitar.
    (his broke and his other one is a harmony, i can't let him us that!)
    and my drummer!

16. Hey i consider myself as what you refer to be one of the younger "inquiering minds", the "beginners", tho i don't have a need 4 expencive, overrated poweramps and a ****load of cabs. I got a cort bass, wich i bought 2nd hand at about $180 allongw with a 40watt elephant bass combo 2nd hand at bout $90, i doubt if any among us ever payed less for gear than me, unfortunatly the amp broke down and i had to buy a new one (bought 60watt stagg combo) so please don't generalise the youth to be all in the need and quest for power.
    I can play a pathetic 3 songs allong with the cd but god what did i have fun with my bass.

greeds from the low end.
  17. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Greetings Dude,

You misunderstood my point. You're doing EXACTLY what more players SHOULD be doing. You're happy with what you have for gear and not falling prey to the often-heard tales of "You can't cut it because your gear isn't powerful enough, BIG enough, expensive enough, etc". You're, in fact, doing the right thing. I wish that more NEW or potential players would pay less attention to what they THINK that they need and simply Get out and Play.....enjoy making music......don't be sidetracked by tales of needing monster amplifiers and million dollar basses.

Bass-ically Yours,