1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stage monitors???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tank, Apr 7, 2009.

1. tank

tank

Mar 14, 2009
    La Vernia Texas
    Has anybody out there had any dealings with Behringer products, PA speakers or stage monitors? The reason I'm asking is that I need a couple of stage monitors for a little gig we're playing the first weekend in May. I have the board, mains and mic's but no monitors. We're playing outdoors in our local high school football stadium for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. I'm on a really tight budget and I am looking at a couple of Behringer model VS1220F 12" monitors that I can get shipped from ZZounds Music for 264 bucks and some change for the both. They are supposed to handle up to 600 watts with a continuous handling capabilty of 150. They would be connected to a Samson TM500 12 ch. powered mixer. There will be 4 vox mics, a mic'd banjo, two acoustic electric guitars with one of them swapping to mandolin at times run through the board. And I on my bass will be running through my amp. Do any of ya'll have any opinions on this, be they pro or con? Sure could use the help!!!

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Save money and rent a pair for the show.
    Then save up more money and buy a pair of monitors that you have had the time to research and listen to that will suit your needs best.

Maybe you end up with the Behringers or something else, my opinion is based on seeing way to many bands complaining about there monitors. This is always the area where many people try to find a cheap way out and always end up regreting it later. I feel stage monitors are as important as your FOH system, they should be able to go loud enough and have proper power and EQ/processing to do the job right.

I currently rent my complete PA system to another local band and they constantly tell me it's the first time they ever have used a monitor system they can actually hear themselves with.

And by the way, the power handling capacity of those Behringer speakers is 150watts (always go by the continuous rating, not peak ratings)

3. I recently used some "Nady" monitors. I was sure they would suck but they didn't sound bad at all, and I think the guy paid about 100 bucks a piece for them.

Listen and make up your own mind.

My $.02
    I know Nothing

4. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I have used (working for another sound co.) the older F1220 units, in bi-amped mode. I was VERY surprised how good they sounded. We set them up in pairs, 6 across the front on three mixes, and it was plenty for the type of music that day, a blues band, and a folk act. No one complained at all. I would definitly also recommend renting them first to see if a purchase is worth it.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well hopefully you are not playing for more than 50 people because your PA ain't going to cut it. +1 to what Vinny said.

6. DaveLS

DaveLS

Sep 5, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have one of the older F1220 that I use occasionally. I bought it used for $35. It sounds fine to me and it's pretty solid. If you can find anything used, you'll probably save a fist full of cash.