Stage monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Sep 8, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    What are some good stage monitors that can handle the Low end well? What should I look for when going to buy some?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That depends on how you are going to use them. Vocals only? Bass and keys in your mix? How big are the stages, how loud is the band? How much power are you going to feed through them?

Personally, I'm a fan of a 15" with a horn, and most of the PA companies we use have "home-brew" monitors with name-brand components (JBL/EV/Eminence) that sound just fine.
  3. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    i want have the whole mix except the drums (maybe just the bass drum).
    For small to medium sized gigs so nothing too powerfull. I just don't want something thats not going to fart when I get low.
  4. I never put drums in the monitor mix, but all the drummers I've mixed for are loud enough to carry a medium club on their own. I rarely put bass into the monitor. I will put in acoustic guitar, maybe just a little lead and rhythym, keys, and vocals.

For small to medium gigs, just put vocals in the monitors IMHO.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I feel only lead instruments and vocals should be in monitors, unless you have electronic drums, then leave out the kick or EQ it thin so you don't overload. I've heard that its recommended to get your p.a. mix up to volume first and then fill in the audio gaps on stage with monitors.
  6. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I plan to put my bass thru the monitors because i won't be using an amp, i'll be going direct. So what monitors have you all had good luck with?
  7. How many do you need and how much do you want to spend? I prefer a higher end self powered 12" or 15" wedege for myself. However, for the about half the cost of a higher end wedge (read in...reliable, won't fart or crap out when you push it) you could get a very nice in-ear system and mix in anything you want. I currently use in-ears about 60% of the gigs I do. I use a set Shure E-5's with Sensaphonics molds through a standard Shure 600 wireless system. The cost for all of it....about $1,500.

I also own a Meyer PSM-2 Stage wedge that puts out a whopping 139 db (1,240 Watts of self power) and will not fart or crap out no matter what I throw at it (it has built in limiter and protection circuitry) including a full band mix of Roland V-drums and keys, vocals guitars, horns and my bass. (I usually travel with only an Avalon U-5 DI, a Sadowsky floor pedal preamp, a variety of basses depending on the gig, and my Meyer wedge. I ALWAYS have my in-ear rig with me but I prefer the "liveness" of a wedge where it can work.

If you want a wedge I don't think you can skimp on price or quality if you are going to put a bass guitar through it. I would suggest a 12" cone because I think that a 12" gives a little less punch than a 15" but more clarity and definition in a mix. You can usually "feel" the punch from the PA if you have decent PA support and the clarity that a 12" gives you helps cut through a stage mix a little better. Check out Meyer, Claire Brothers 12AM, EAW, MacPherson, and JBL for the heavy hitter, top of the line stuff, PAS, Mackie, and some lesser known stuff could work but be sure you can check it out in your band situation at the volumes that you will need to play at.

Good Luck,

8. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    thank you Tommix. Thats some very usefull info. I try never to skimp on price and quallity. i find 9 times out of ten you get what you pay for, and where my sound is concerned I only want the best no mater what the cost.