1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stage Plot software for PC

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 20, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey all, anyone know of a decent PC stage plot program that's shareware or freeware? I'll even take suggestions for stuff that costs. Doesn't have to be too graphic intensive...just something simple and easy to use. Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    MS Visio?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, it sounds like I'm going to have to make do with a freehand drawing program. The only program specifically for it I found is Stage Plot Pro, and that's only for Macs.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was hoping Open Office had something like Visio, but it doesn't look like they do.

You could use Gimp, that's free. It might be easier than using paint or any freehand drawing program.

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Anything that allows you to insert an existing drawing (i.e. of a drum kit, mic, wedge, etc.) into another drawing (i.e. of your stage space) should do. Create a directory & add your elements to it as individual files. As needed, insert the elements to a stage layout drawing & move them to where needed. The program would probably also need to have a "grouping" capability.

I use CorelDRAW! & Visio, but they're both payware.

6. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do here, but it sounds like a CAD program might be what you're looking for.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just used MS Word and added shapes, shading, colors and text boxes. Looks good, professional (as far as I have seen) and most FOH engineers like that we have one. Don't leave out an input list as well. They come in handy as well. Especially if you are more than a 3 piece band!

8. +1 I Googled stage plots and cut and pasted in Word. Everyone's been happy with it so far!

9. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks John and thanks to the rest of you, too! Didn't get much chance to pursue it today, but hopefully tomorrow!

11. I've done some Stage Managing & . . . thank you!!

Sound techs appreciate the input lists.

I do appreciate a nice job of a stage plot, but the biggest point for me is accuracy & timeliness; 'pretty' isn't as useful as actually having the correct # of horns on the plot. Emailed PDFs are easy to share through the system down to the crew. A contact email right on the plot is nice. As is a cell phone #, especially 30 minutes before showtime & no one has seen the band yet.

12. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I just looked at FreeStagePlots and its very basic, simple and gets the job done.

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Google Sketchup is 3D and pretty amazing. Easy to use. You can model the stage, and then move around / over the stage plot to view the audience from the stage, view the stage from the audience, side angles, etc. Free, too:

Google SketchUp

14. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc

contact email and phone numbers....good idea! I am gonna steal that.

:ninja:

davegt666 likes this.
  15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    All you need are some rectangles and circles. MS-Paint can do that for you. A stage plot isn't a work of art, it's just a map to show who plays what where with what equipment.