Stage Presence.. Divided feedback... Men and women..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassAlchemy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Nov 2, 2011
    Greetings to all. I wonder if anyone out there has experienced divided feedback in regards to "stage presence". I play in an original rock and roll band, people always say we sound like a classy 60's vibe type but thats besides the point ;-). When I play im usually very laid back and groove along to the music and although I err in looking at the fretboard from time to time I always enjoy my time up in stage. Now here is the thing. Usually when we finish playing the crowd is always very vocal about how much they enjoy the music, our humble attitude and our skill as players. One thing that has become constant is that I ger divided feedback on my stage presence... The males usualy tell me that I need to be more active on stage that I play good but that I look a bit tense or stiff like i am not having a good time (which is strange cause I love playing live) . Friends of mine who know me for years and strangers alike have commented on this and as of now no stranger that has said this to me has mentioned it in a hater/jealous sort of way.. They always seem honest at least in my perception. Now on the other hand many females have showered me in compliments saying that my presence and mood on stage is great and that they feel the good vibes coming from my side of the stage and that it looks great and that they dig what im doing up there. This has happened quite a lot over the last year and it kibd of puzzles me really. Its awesome that the girls can dig my whole thing up in stage but i reallyfind it strange that the opinion is divided like that. Anyone out there has had the same kind of comments.

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    One factor is that straight guys who think you look good on stage are unlikely to tell you that.

I'd say it all doesn't really affect what you should do, though, because better stage presence can't hurt. If you improve your stage presence, it's not like the women who think it's good now will start thinking it's terrible instead. They'll probably like you even better.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    People tell me I look like a friggin slack jawed drooling idiot. I guess it's a look.......

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Laid back is not usually a good type of stage presence. However, actual results may vary.

5. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Nov 2, 2011
  6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So what's the problem?

Eff what the guys think. If the chicks are diggin' it, your're golden. And your band is on the road to success.

Go with what you're doing and don't change a thing.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    It worked OK for Bill Wyman.

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'm diggin the tunes. Good old rock-n-roll! You got plenty funky around the 2:30 mark, during the breakdown.

People used to praise me for going bonkers on stage, even though it would hurt my actual performance. We used to do a really heavy, crushingly slow version of Comfortably Numb, and the end devolved into a chaotic sound-orgy. I always managed to hurt myself, but the crowd went nuts for it.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    It's kind of a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. Using cliche rock & roll poses can be funny if used only occasionally and the person is too old to really be trying to sell it (think low-slung guitar, kind of squatting with one leg sticking out at an angle, hunched over) but high leg kicks just look foolish. If a band is playing extremely difficult music, I would hope they would place playing it well over stage presence. Sometimes, like a trio, only one person needs to be more active and the rest can be more laid-back but without looking like they're made of stone.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And John Paul Jones. And John Entwistle. And John Deacon. And John McVie.

And probably for some other bassists not named John, too.

11. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not great but not terrible either, I’d suggest moving around a bit more (you're pretty planted in that vid) and interacting w/ the drummer and guitarist too. That said great playing and great tune.

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    +Bunches!

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    True story... one of the reasons John Deacon got the Queen gig is that the bassist before him was really animated and was taking attention away from Freddie Mercury.

14. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    +1 to this.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Phony never plays on stage. If your thing is to move around a lot and ham it up, that's fine. If you're wired more to just hang back there by the drums and do your thing, that's fine too. The worst thing you can do is front-run being somebody you're not.

"Cool" isn't about what you do (or don't do)... it's about being true to who you are.

16. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks. I always thought that stage presence went hand to hand with the type of music the band plays. Over time I started thinking that maybe I should play it out a bit more but I am the type of person that would just feel not right faking it if you know what I mean. Im all for a passiomate honest performance. I have seen many players who are very dynamic and active all over the stage and you can tell they are being genuine. People observing bands can tell when the performers are being real and when they are just putting on a planned act.

17. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I second this, not everybody has to be Flea...I've seen a lot of bands where the bassist hardly moves; it's no big deal. Try "being more animated" when you play keyboards, you pretty much feel like an idiot no matter what! The only keyboard player I've ever seen pull off a bouncier, hyperactive stage presence, is Greg Hawkes of The Cars.

18. feet open.. look up.. smile (if you're not in a death metal band)

19. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Haha YES! He does that head thrust, the bounce, the shimmy, so funny. And he always has no expression. My Key player does that too. Real goofy.

As for the OP. Play how you're comfortable! People like doing splits in the air, and other people like to just groove.

20. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011

Actors are on stage, and what they do is almost by definition "phony". But if they are GOOD at it, the audience doesn't perceive them as phony. A musician hamming it up on stage, even if that isn't his/her natural inclination, won't automatically look unnatural. It only looks bad if they suck at it............

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021