1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stage Production, Walk On Music

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I saw a band called Twin Tigers (Not Bad) open for Interpol. The House was packed and when they walked on some old Van Halen tune came on. It was a nice touch. I once saw the Stones use Duke Ellington’s “Take The A Train” for the same thing.

Does this sort of production value only make sense under certain circumstances or could any band playing clubs use it. For example, you have to be famous or only if the house is packed and the crowd is really waiting for you.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Myself, I have only seen big touring bands use this and feel they are the only ones that could pull it off well.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i used to do it with early bands i was in, and it was kind of pretentious so we stopped.

4. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thats what I thought, it's only effective for the major leaguers

5. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    We used to use intro music, til the day the music started, the drummer and I went to start walking to the stage from the dressing room (at the back of the bar) and the lock broke on the door and we couldn't get out.

A bouncer then body-slammed the door and broke it off the hinges for us.

Good times!

6. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I guess it also depends on the calibre of the show.If you were opening for a national act and your band is smokin I think it would work.

7. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
  8. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Saw Rush a long time ago and they came out to the tune of Three Blind Mice.

9. if you're playing locally and have 50+ people there...

... making an intro track of an intro YOU wrote to lead into your 1st song usually goes well.

I've seen it quite a bit

Just don't let that totally replace the bit of interaction you have w the audience.

10. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    Cover band ..sorry big no no...original band totally part of your show

11. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I would think you would have to be performing your own stuff. It could come off as pretentious unless you really picked the right music.I might try something from Henry Mancini. Depending on the band , the vibe and the scene, Bob Newahart or Mary Tyler Moore TV show themes might work.

I agree, the vibe has to be right, at least 50 + in a small club with hip crowd.And you better burn on your first song.

I once saw the Black Crows walk out un announced with the house lights on, people not even in their seats, no walk on music, and they ripped the place up. Very groovy:)

12. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Royal Court of China (whatever happened to them?) opened with ACDC "For Those About to Rock...", but when they started playing to finish out the intro, they were in a different tune! Now, over 20 years later, I still wonder, "how did they allow such a screw-up?"

Another problem with this technique is, the listener is forced to compare the bands "live" sound, with another bands "Studio" recording. Bad way to start a show I think (unless your Rush, and you can do whatever you want).

13. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    At the end of the day, walk On Music is great;

If it fits the band

It's the right venue

The right crowd

The right walk on music

People are actually pyched up and are waiting to see the band

Your good

It would be ef ed up it you go through all this pre show production and you sucked.

14. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    I've seen a local band come out to a well written piano piece in the same key to that of thier first song.
    (If my theory was better, I could probably expand on that, but basically, knowing the chords to thier first song, you could noodle around and work out how to play the piano piece...)

I think it worked really well, set the atmosphere for thier show

15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Back in the '70's Yes used to walk on to the classical "Firebird Suite",
    then kick into Siberian Khatru. It was a magical moment to say the least.
    They obviously could pull it off. It may in some instances be a bad idea.
    What is cool tho, is to walk on to some pre-recorded instrumental music of your own making.

16. IT takes a TON of time to do it really well..

For most bands I'm with, I try to have set break material.. pre and post.

I voiceover/produce a count down (very time consuming).. then have a audio signal about 2 minutes before we start.. The music fades out and then goes to very low hz in the key of our first set song. in this final track, it will normally say "we sincerely hope you're having a great time - we look forward to meeting you either in person or at XYX.com..

At the end of the night there's the common "thank you" stuff .. along with a hint/reminder of "Thank you for joining us -- let us know if you need a ride - please visit us again at XYX..com - thanks again":

That being said, we have visual costumes and are a party theme. Due to the nature of our theme (irrelevant right now) .. it's fitting to have a low rumbly voice issue commands.

Much of this stuff needs context and a plan for what you do when it's not fitting/working.

We're blessed to have access to guys very into theater and audio production that can call out "JIVE" before we waste time.

Tim

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021