Stage Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blipndub, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Today we had an ourdoor gig and I was going through the mains and some wimpy monitors, most of my stage vol was through my GK1001 and an Avatar 212. I felt like i didn't have much headroom and things were breaking up in the cab. It felt kind of mushy, not tight like the Ray should.

I wonder if this rig is going to work for me with my SR5. What do you guys use on stage? Do I need a more powerful cab?
  2. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    for outside gigs you need a big rig. how many watts is the gk head? i have an avatar 2x10 i use only at tiny gigs. you probably need a better cab if your amp has enough wattage. its not your bass. people play 100,000 people venues with stingrays. i have a genz benz 6x10 and an ashdown abm500. it handles ouside gigs nicely.
  3. whao, 610, that's big. I wonder if I should think about the traditional 410 and 115? I wanted only one cab to haul around. The GK is like 540 watts I think.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd recommend to upgrade the head (to maybe a higher power GK or a rack amp) and put a 410 on top of your 212 or a 115 under it. How many Ohms is the cab?
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    From time to time I STILL find myself playing harder than I normally would due to low stage volume. It is not easy training yourself to play tastefully without bieng able to hear yourself as well as you would like!! When I first started gigging I was playing rock and at that time and any good engineer knew that the bass was best buried within the mix. My stage volume had to be so low, it was ass-in-9. Hopefully most of the sound dudes from that era are finally dead or retired.
    If you want to assure that you will ALWAYS be able to hear yourself then you need a bigger rig, nothing massive, another 2x12 may even do it. I believe in having more than enough, that way I am not pushing my equipment too hard. Rooms that have very high ceilings are tough to fill-up with bass, when you are outside the cieling is even a "bit" higher so yea, big rig. I always try to start with my rig down lower than I would normally. This gives me a chance to find out what I am going to get out of the monitors and believe me, I will milk every last drop out of them if I need to.
    Any decent bass is fine for any sized gig, you are cool there. You may just need a bit more cab for larger applications, otherwise learn how to play comfortably at a reduced volume, it is a skill that can come in handy from time to time!!
  6. I'm sure the head has enough power I really don't push it all that hard, plus all the EQ is flat with the SR5. It's at 4 ohms with two cabs but 8 with just the one. I've been using a 210 and the 212, I guess I should go back to lowering the ohms with more speaker power. Two cabs are better than one, right? Unless it's a 610 or something mad like that.

I actually end up playing pretty lightly with the stingray it's so powerful. This was the first gig with the new bass. I think my third with the head and the first or second with only the one cab. I guess I should go back to ttwo cabs.

I sure would love a new GK neo 212.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you have a 210 then i'd use it with the 212 for big/outdoor gigs. however, most of your gigs can probably be handled with the 212. you dont want to overdo it, nor do you want to carry more cabs than you have to.

8. What model 1001RB is your head, is it the series II? Either way the Gallien heads have loads of power, even for thei rating- but I'm told they need to be run with 2 cabinets, or a 4ohm load to really shine. If your Avatar 212 is an 8ohm cabinet, then your only getting 2/3rds of what you could be in terms of power handling, and sound.

I would use the 210 on top of the 212 for more volume, it will add a little bit of punch to it. If you want to go all out get a 410 to use above the 212, you will then have a wall of sound that will shake the earth, and make heads explode in it's path... Failing that, a power amp might be helpfull as well.
  9. 1001RB not series II.
    The 212 is 8ohm (but rated for like 1000 watts).
    So I guess I have to resort to hauling around two cabs get my ohms down.
    I'm pretty tempted by a 410 cab though I have to admit. I love how punch my 210 is when it's alone.
  10. then why not run the 2x10 and the 2x12?
    i would sure think that would lay down some serious noise.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    IIRC the old 1001RB put out around 500 watts @ 4ohms and like 380 @ 8hm. Assuming you have an 8ohm 210 you should run them together for maximum power and more speaker area.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For just your stage volume? Your power sounds fine.

I'd suggest more speakers, and less low end in your on-stage EQ, go with more midrange to cut through your on-stage mix. The crowd won't know, and you will be able to hear yourself better.
  13. +1

Coupled with monitors and PA support, you should be fine.