1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stage Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Jun 8, 2019.

1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't just play bars

Wisebass and Jughead6 like this.
  2. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

It appears you care enough to post just to tell us how much you don't care.

Do you care what you wear when you go out for the evening with friends or your significant other? How is this any different?

I'm curious if you feel the same way in regards to your musicianship and song choice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Wisebass, lat and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

C9B453D5-322E-4FC3-BDDC-92D48EDEFFD3.
    Plus, if you dress nicely, you're perceived as more professional, and hence are treated that way- and ultimately rewarded with higher paying gigs. These guys cared about their looks.

Wisebass, Plectrum72 and HardNHeavy like this.
  4. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    Well.....a little more than this?..lol............seriously tho.....whatever i'm comfortable with, i tend to sweat alot even in winter!...... or depending on the band or venue..... Sometimes a dress shirt untucked, jeans blue or black, sneakers or boots....I might even wear a baseball cap:drool:...lol

[​IMG]

IamGroot likes this.
  5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    ^

6. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Blue on Black can never be wrong either.... well.... depending on the shade of blue I guess -

7. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    This was me on Thursday evening doing guitar things. This time of year outdoor gigs I'll likely be in shorts.

[​IMG]

8. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    what are cool tennis shoes..?...I just recently challanged a group of people to tell what kind of footware band members wore after they had seen they play a live show.....they didnt have a clue..most didnt remember what type of pants and shirts they wore either..people really are unaware about what small time musicians wear..if it were pink floyd it would be different..

9. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Dark jeans or tan slacks, black shirt, black shoes, hat, beard.

DCWildeRover.

10. image. Dark trousers and shirt and some comfortable shoes

11. Fezzes are cool.

12. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Great idea! Since nobody notices the bass player, I bet the cops ran right past you.

Jughead6 likes this.
  13. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    To me it's entirely dependent on what is being played and where or for whom it's being played. Not that I will ever sport them, but cargos, jorts and the ubiquitous all-white dad trainers seem to be acceptable attire in many good time classic cover rock scenarios where folks are having fun dancing to music they love. Conversely if Boris the Sprinkler came out in dad duds I would have been quite disappointed.

20190524_212050.

14. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I always consider stage garb just that. A costume. Whether it's a cowboy hat, bolo tie and boots for a country gig; Black leather pants and ripped striped shirt for a rock gig; or a lime green, bell bottom tux with lapels the size of a garage door for a '70's soul revue. What I wear is part of the entertainment for the audience. Comfort and dignity be damned! I do insist on rubber soled shoes for the safety aspect, even if they look like other footwear. As musicians we are entertainers up on stage in front of a crowd who want to forget their miserable lives for a few hours. Let's put in the effort to do the best job we can to deliver that. If that means dressing up like a cartoon character, so be it. What you wear lounging around the house or going to the store is up to you, but during those few hours under the lights, be professional and use everything in your power (proficiency on your instrument, reliable gear, a solid backup plan in case of a power loss, having all band members on the same page regarding the set lists...) including your costume, to give your audience the best show you can. They deserve that. Rant over.

p.s. Try to match your costume to the genre. I wouldn't wear the lime green tux to a metal gig. "What's the best neon colored tux for metal?" :roflmao:

JohnMCA72, zoonose, Jhengsman and 2 others like this.
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    All white

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Dark Carhartt canvas trousers or cuffed blue jeans, some kind of a dark pocket T, blue or black whichever is on top of the stack when i get dressed. Timberland work shoes and a black ball cap with a skull and bones embroidered on the front. That’s pretty much it. Since it’s what i wear most every day any way, getting ready to play is easy for me.

zoonose likes this.
  17. Too. Many. Hats.

zoonose likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

Our next tune will be Mack The Knife.

19. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    and clearly, "Baby Shark" after that

20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006