1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stage Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Jun 8, 2019.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    no beer belly or loose waist and i used to be a professional swimmer and I still workout rigorously.

2. zon5string

zon5string Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Black (really black, not "used to be black, but faded to gray after 30 washes"). I buy them cheap at Target or Walmart. Black Dickies short-sleeve work shirt. They stay black forever. Sometimes a long-sleeve dress shirt (black, red, purple, maybe gaudy....I have one that has silver metallic pinstripes). Black shoes (oxfords, all-black tennis/court shoes, combat boots). Black belt, black socks.

NEVER, EVER, NOT EVER shorts (I have, but only for, say, a backyard party or the like), almost never blue jeans.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thus the slow, painful, demise of many local music scenes.

In the 80s and 90s, EVERY bar band (in my area) looked the part. Somewhere around the turn of the century, and a decade of grunge pretty much ruining live music forever, looking the part became passe'. It's a shame, really.

If you aren't going to do it right, why bother? ;)

When I go to see a band, and they show up in sandals and cargo shorts and Ampeg T-shirts, I am already unimpressed before they ever hit a note.

I would argue the opposite of your judgement. Nobody cares if you nail every single note of every song. Nobody cares if you can play the strings off of a bass and have a tone like that of the left hand of God on a 20 foot Steinway. If you look the part, put on a show, and play the right songs, you'll be the "best band ever".

We have a HORRIBLE guitar player who has been a staple of the local music scene for over two decades. He is known around here as our "best guitar player". He plays shiny guitars, wear leather pants, plays solos behind his head and with his tongue, and is generally awful at his craft. The only difference between an A and a Am chord to him is "something to do with keyboards". His solos are all the same. He can go nuts on a "blues scale" even if it doesn't fit. But he looks the part and puts on a show. He is surrounded by adoring fans at every show. Nobody is talking to his bass player. ;)

His band is booked up for the next 18 months. :thumbsup: I have met two couples who moved their wedding days to allow for his band to be able to play. The band is "meh" and he is pretty much horrible.

What you think matters to most audience members matters exactly zero. Play the right songs. Put on a show (including looking the part). They'll keep coming back every time.

None of this means I don't care about the music. Quite the opposite. I am for "all of the above". I want to nail the music, put on a show, have lights, dress the part, and sell beer (or whatever drink profits the bar the most) at every show.

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Spazz :)

Always dress sharp!

People have to see who is the artist (entertainer)!

thMB739LC4.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Alevine1nc likes this.
  5. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Wow, I had no idea. I've only ever worn shorts for 20 years, and jeans sometimes when the place was a bit nicer. Then again, I've only ever done bar gigs.

6. Sad, but true. And put on a decent outfit. Always.

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Banded collar long-sleeve shirt: Black

Jeans: Black

Cowboy boots: Black

8. Or, maybe if you dressed up, they would notice.

Pacman likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    THIS many times. You are putting on a show (as the Beatles were first told when they went to Hamburg). If you went to a symphony or a Broadway play, they wouldn't be wearing "rathole bar" clothes). Also, when you see big bands looking "sloppy" on the stadium stage, I bet you would be surprised how much time and money went into cultivating that image.

Wisebass and two fingers like this.
  10. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Or who are cult members...;)

Wisebass likes this.
  11. Since I'm mainly playing country at present, I wear jeans, a western shirt and a good felt western hat. No cheap hats, mine are either Stetson or Beaver 3X or better, with a summer option in the very nice George-Strait style straw long oval I bought in Brownsville, TX years ago. None of those brim-smashed-up-along-the-crown wannabe cowboy hats, I like 'em to look classic.

I wear black tennies, as my feet won't tolerate boots any longer, which I regret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like showy shirts similar to these...and some searching on Ebay turns them up at affordable prices. Funny thing, as soon as I started doing this the other band members stepped up their "look," too. I think the whole band comes off better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's one nice way to do it.

When I play surf and blues, I'm wearing jeans (no shorts), tennies, and a Tommy Bahama hawaiian-style shirt:

[​IMG]

Alevine1nc and John M Ewers like this.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have almost as much invested in on stage clothes as musical gear.

Stylish shirts by Haupt, Bugatchi, Pistol Pete, and western shirts of all sorts. I stay away from logo wear except an old US Marines shirt that has all sorts of weapons on it. Many assorted shoes of varying styles and colors, cowboy boots, Red Wing shoes, stylish belts and accessories because YOU’RE onstage. Try & be visual as well as audio.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Pilgrim likes this.
  13. zon5string

zon5string Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Semper Fi, brother. I presume you wear it because you earned it.

14. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Our stages tend to be pretty hot, so I wear something that keeps me comfortable. Usually a silk or linen shirt with some color to it, a pair of lightweight pants like sharkskins and comfortable shoes. i usually have a flat cap to keep the lights out of my eyes so I'm not squinting and scowling at the audience.

I just don't want to be up there in a Hawaiian shirt. I try to dress it up rather than down. Our two fronts do sort of the same thing.

15. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    People still go out to see live music? :jawdrop:

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Typically......all black with gold suspenders and gold tie and jacket during the cooler months. No jacket otherwise. Occasionally a gold T-shirt with the jacket. Again, depends on weather, inside or outside, etc.

Pilgrim likes this.
  17. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Good going with the Marine T.... almost as good as a USN T :thumbsup:

18. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    SF Bae Area
    Depends on the gig...
    Most of the time if I'm in a bar doing metal stuff or just jamming then vans, skinny jeans and a tshirt/hoodie fits the bill. Black shirts of course. Sometimes in the summer the shorter skirts get brought out as well. For some other shows in that genre it warrants getting the stage makeup on and digging out the fishnets and looking the part a tad more.

I find jazz and blues stuff where I have to get more dressed up and presentable, eg, dress or skirts/blouse/etc to be more annoying from a moving around on stage perspective and generally not being as comfortable socially for me at any rate.

19. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Depends on the band. Metal, used to be black jeans, nurock boots, black painted nails, a shirt with flames or skulls and various evil jewelry(barbwire wristband, eyeball ring..) Nowadays, metal or rock, its comfortable shoes, jeans and a Harley shirt.

20. Every gig I've played, I looked the part for the music..
    All of the bands that I have been involved with took the music seriously.
    I didn't give a rats rear end if people were drinking though...