1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stage Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    no..thats not it..people are getting drunk and partying..watching cell phone..head in the sky..

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  2. Well, I always wear a suit. People always notice and comment it.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    Basically what I'm wearing in my profile picture with black or blue chinos and dark brown boots

4. Check out early RHCP, Flea was a minimalist.

5. Tom Burton

Tom Burton

Jan 16, 2019
    I never were shorts. Never.

P. Aaron likes this.
  6. rhodesworks

rhodesworks

Oct 8, 2007
    I work a mix of venues from mid size bars to classier nightclubs doing a mix of classic rock. The show is mixed with comedy but the music is played seriously. I wear black tux pants with loud Hawaiian shirts and heavy gold jewelry. I change shirts every set as I am quite active on stage. Black leather dress boots, no tennis shoes ever. It’s an unusual look but it’s hard to mistake who’s the performer!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nope. Paying homage. Country Music has that patriot streak.

The shirt’s kinda in yer face in a triggering way too.

zon5string likes this.
  8. P. Aaron

Those guys coordinating launching aircraft off those carriers are the most awesome thing.

9. P. Aaron

DEVICES are the main competitor in our line of work. The quality of the music and the delivery are ways of overcoming this distraction.

It’s like trying to pry the security blanket from Linus.

We should be doing our best...always.

martinc likes this.
  10. gozbass

gozbass

Apr 6, 2009
    Missouri
    me 39. to me 18. Depends on the venue and the show.

WI Short Scaler and Fuzzbass like this.
  11. P. Aaron

Here are some shoes that I’ll wear onstage. The Red Wing shoes go with most jeans or western wear but it depends on the gig. The flower-power & leopard shoes I’ll wear when subbing rock or R & B gigs.

It’s also about stepping outside oneself and just clowning for an audience. As George Harrison once said; ”They’d use us as an excuse to go mad.”

Help them get there.
    6F5B2982-99C4-46B4-9AE0-776D20775299.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

To pile on: depends. No, not that kind: depends on the gig. Always.

I mostly play casual bar gigs with cover bands. So, I dress casually: black long-sleeved collared shirt, jeans (prefer dark blue or black), Chucks. For a hard rock/metal gig I often wear a dark t-shirt with graphics of some kind: anything from skulls to Rick'n'Morty to Batman to music gear logos.

If I'm doing a wedding or corporate gig, I go with the dress code ordered by the client via the bandleader: tux, suit, or business casual (rarely).

For unusual occasions -- private party, street festival, whatever -- I prefer casual, but follow instructions if necessary.

If I played bigger clubs with bigger audiences (and bigger paychecks) then I'd make an effort to dress nicer. I went Johnny Cash when opening for Guitar Shorty at a cool theater venue: black dress shirt, black slacks, black dress shoes. Then Guitar Shorty and his band came out in worn jeans, some wearing sandals. :D

The BL of my all-original power blues-rock trio likes to dress up -- bell bottoms, fancy hat, frilly shirts -- but he doesn't require the rhythm section to do so. And that's fine, the BL should be the center of attention.

13. Stan Haldane

Stan Haldane

Feb 3, 2018
    Oh dear!

wmhill likes this.
  14. Martone

Martone

Feb 3, 2019
    Lawrence KS
    Black wig, leather jacket, torn Levi's, and converses. Gtr player and drummer wear the same.

15. I skipped from the first page to here. Please pardon me if I missed something relevant.
    My 2 cents' worth:
    A wise drummer once said to me, after my repeated showings to the gig with wrinkled shirts, "People don't go out to hear a band, they go out to see a band." Then he gave me an iron, which I still have.
    I can't understand players who look like bums, when they go out to play in front of people who are paying to see them.

Corbusier and gozbass like this.
  16. gozbass

gozbass

Apr 6, 2009
    Missouri
    I'm a firm believer in drummers looking good from the waist up. Myself, if i were a drummer i'd wear shorts behind the drums. I've even seen some roll up thier jeans, looks uncomfortable. Look cool but stay cool. Just my two cents.

17. Bassi5t

Bassi5t

Jul 18, 2017
    F5D7FC6B-5F49-427A-8F0D-D656DB6AB58F. 4FE1B3D2-B21F-4FE3-8E47-786C672111B6. Got to make an impression... even at a dive bar.

Played a show at the Music Box in San Diego and I wore a skirt and bow in my hair. Kinda going for a political statement. We are playing the Roxy on the 22nd and I’ll be wearing a skirt there too. Something I always do, though, is paint my nails. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of grief for this but when you’re a white boy in a Latin ska alternative punk trio you gotta do something

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    rutrho likes this.
  18. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    DGilpatrick likes this.
  19. JohnN

JohnN

Apr 19, 2008
    Black jeans, black boots, usually a black T-shirt of my current fave band (Toska from the U.K.) and a black Jazz V with a black pick guard. Last time also black strings. I guess there’s a theme.

20. Black sure is a good way to make you stand out, apparently. Or, wait ...