1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stagg BC300 fretless???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonners98, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jonners98

jonners98

Apr 23, 2013
    im getting a fretless as my next purchase, and i have found a bass that suits my needs, its a stagg bc300 fretless.
    ive chosen it because of the p/j configuration really, but i was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these? i would probably swap out the pickups, tuners and bridge at some point if i got one, but is it still worth it????

2. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Interesting that you bring this up. The local vintage guitar shop I frequent recently bought out the entire inventory of another long time independent shop that closed after the death of the owner. I had been toying with the idea of trying a fretless myself. I usually don't buy low end instruments, but when I found the bass you are considering hanging on the wall among the very expensive vintage instruments, I bought it as an impulse purchase. I requested that they have one of their luthiers go over it before I purchased it, and when I returned to pick it up the report from the tech was that he felt there was not much left on the truss rod. I thought that was odd for a new, old stock instrument, but used that statement as a bargaining point, and bought the bass for the grand sum of $89.00.

To make it playable, I had to add a very thick spacer under the neck, and that made a great improvement, but I have found a manufacturing defect in the finger board. At the second position of the fingerboard, there is a slight hump, that causes the b on the a string, and the e on d string to buzz. I plan to sand down the undulation in the finger board to rectify the problem. When I attempted to remove the truss rod nut, I found that it became tight, as I was loosening it, like it was a double acting type, (which I doubt it is). I will look into that, (maybe) later. The tuners are small guitar size, and at least one has some slop in it as I turn the key. Over all, mine is just barely worth the 89 dollars I paid for it. It is small, and light, and for farting around at home, the pickups work well enough. I hope to fix the unevenly shaped neck, and will probably have to increase the thickness of the spacer under the neck, to make this thing a player. I will never upgrade the electronics, because this instrument will never be worth it.

If you can get a better example than mine for around $100.00, you would be doing OK.