1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stagg BC300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ringy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ringy

ringy

Jul 27, 2009
    I work on guitars as a "pocket money" hobby and I've just been given a virtually brand new Stagg BC300 as payment for some work I did on a Strat, guy got it for his son who played it twice then lost interest!

I haven't had a chance to try it or open it up to see what quality the pots etc are. I would imagine they are Chinese crap, am I right? What I've found in the past with budget guitars is the body and neck are usually quite reasonable but they money is saved on the electrics.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a Stagg Fusion 3/4 scale bass (BC300 3-4) and I'd agree with that overall assessment.

Bridge and tuners were okay, nut was hard plastic, frets needed a little work. Pickups (jazz configuration) are surprisingly not bad.

I rewired it, replaced the nut and cleaned up the neck and it's a nice shortscale jazz bass. I also put a series/parallel switch in it and with those changes, it's a bass I've held on to for a while.

I also changed out the bridge and tuners to chrome (mine was blacked out), but only for aesthetic reasons. That long upper horn is also very good for balancing the instrument.

Enjoy it!

Bob

3. ringy

ringy

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi Bob, based on past experience that's more or less what I reckoned I would need, decent quality pots & tone cap. Might replace the nut as well based on what you said. I like mucking about with "budget" guitars, you can do what you want with them without fear of damaging an expensive item. Also you end up with a guitar you want not what some manufacturer thinks you want.