Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

staind

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anubis101, Jul 3, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    sooo what does everyone think of Staind? i like them..

2. I saw them live at BFD (Big Fawking Day, a Bay Area Rock station concert, equivlient to what "the End" in Seattle, and KROCK has every year, day full of good ole live music.) The lead singer seemd excessivly drunk, and depresssed. The were good, as in i liked their music, but their stage show seemd a bit off. They could have been better.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i don't like them, not in the least.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just my opinions;

Dysfunction album stunk. All depression and that Mushok guy is drunk on his pedals, like he can't play without them. But, that was just their sophomore effort. And Lewis actually SINGS, and sings well, too, instead of trying to constantly scream 4 registers too low for his voice like so much nu metal, (that goof in Mudvayne comes to mind).

Break the Cycle album is so much improved. You could tell the recording company powers got them some A-1 production/engineering people. Not only is the writing stronger but Mushok actually leaves the effects alone on some songs...("c'mon, you can make it across the room without your phaser"). April is a big improvement on bass.

I know they're one of the biggest groups to break this year, so far, but I don't think all the doom and gloom, brooding atmosphere will go over well live once their newness wears off. Concert goers want a party most of the time.

They're one of the few good results of Fred "The Diva" Durst's efforts that I know of.

5. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah the main reason i like them is his voice

6. and to think at first Fred wanted nothing to do with them!

BTW I like staind.

7. rickbass

jr - Didn't he almost cut them off at the knees over their first album/CD cover? Something about crucifixes and blood or some kind of insensitivity to religious people?

8. Yeah, it was a bible covered in blood. This really offended Fred, cause he had a really religious upbringing, his father is a minister. You can't tell hes spiritual through his actions or his lyrics though...::sigh::

9. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ya know, limp bizkit prays before their shows? i saw footage of fred praying for them and he said "dear God help us to kick some a$$ out there tonight"

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw them live about a year and some months ago, opening for Korn (why I was at that show I've been trying to figure out for months). I thought they were pretty good, considering I was in nosebleed seats and couldn't see a damn thing. The new album is very good they are one of two good things to come from "Dumbass" Durst, the other (sorta) being Taproot (I've got the message machine recording on mp3, it's funny in a cynical way). Axelson's voice is really good and the songwriting is definately good enough for me.

11. rickbass

That's hilarious! Now, stick with me on this one. I'm not a religious guy but here's how that plays out for many in western culture;

- As if the guy who created the universe is sitting there with his buddies, eating Cheez-Its and pulling on some Buds, is looking down to see if Bizkit needs Him to tweak fate so Fred and the boys can move a few more CD's.

Yeah, that's what religion is for alright. :rolleyes:

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    - As if the guy who created the universe is sitting there with his buddies, eating Cheez-Its and pulling on some Buds, is looking down to see if Bizkit needs Him to tweak fate so Fred and the boys can move a few more CD's.

didn't somebody say something like that at an award show? (Grammys?) I don't know, but it is pretty damn funny in a weird way.

13. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah, pretty funny stuff....heh

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Odd, but this looks music related. Hmmm, let's give it to Big Wheel in MISCELLANEOUS.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do not like Staind. I do not like their lyrics, their music, their sound. I do not wish to ever hear another Freaking Staind song as long as I live.

Coincidentally, my two best friends like them to death, and it's all they will listen to.

Honestly...Staind...that's what Happens to my carpet when I spill grape juice...

16. i agree 100% with that, the kick As$!!!

17. In the chocolate starfish cd booklet fred says he believes in god and karma, somewhere his lines got crossed.

18. rickbass

FWIW - Staind was in town two nights ago.

From what the music critic said, the "show" aspect of their concerts is pretty much non-existent, (not necessarily a bad thing). He said Lewis mumbles something fairly incoherent between songs and then they play a song. However, he was amazed by Lewis' voice and noted that the pit got pretty bloody.

19. i hear that, brendan.

does anyone alse think that the singer looks like a shaven dave matthews with a permanent frowny face?