Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stained Alder?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 10, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Can Alder be stained black to use for dark stripes in a body? What would you use to do it?....t

2. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I wonder ... that ebony fingerboard stain that Stew Mac sells might do it for you? I have never used it but I would guess that you could dilute it some to where you could control the amount enough to leave the grain showing. :eyebrow:

Then again, maybe I am high ...

3. That's something that I have wondered about dying woods (as I have yet to try it)- does the dye soak deep into the instrument or is it just a superficial sort of thing? Could one dye a maple top for example, and then shape it- or does it have to be dyed when everything is complete, as the step before applying a finish?

TJ- You can dye the wood black, but as my questions above illustrate, I am not certain if you would have to dye them after everything has been shaped, or if you can do it prior to glueing the body together.

4. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have had some experience with staining other wood projects (i.e. furniture, etc). The most thirsty of woods that I have worked with is pine. With that in mind, I don't think even pine could be stained before it is worked. The stain just doesn't go deep enough. I would think you would have to do it after all was said and done, before applying your topcoat.

5. Thanks for the words of experience, Bass Junky

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most dyes and woods penetrate only superficially. Should you ever sand through your clearcoat on a dyed bass, you will see just how little the dye penetrates.

Not that I'd know firsthand or anything...

Larry at Gallery has an impregnation process that gets the dye to penetrate throughout. If you must work the wood after dyeing, this is probably your best option at this point. I think the process works with thinnish laminates (under 1/2"?) so even then you are limited with the shaping possibilities.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    OH boy another reason to call Larry. Looks like I need to get an order torether...........t