1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stained veneer front to painted side/back transition

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tspallone, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Let's see if I can explain what I'm looking to do as simply as I can.

I'm refinishing a painted body. I will strip it down to wood (don't know what kind of wood - Yamaha BB300 ), doesn't matter.

I want to put a curly maple veneer on the front which will be stained. The sides and rear with be paint (much different color than the piano black on there now)

Here's my question; the front to side transition isn't 90 degrees. There's a soft round over. How should I approach applying the veneer to the front and sanding, staining, painting?

I think I would like to have a black line in between the transition from the veneer (green) to the paint (cream) but, how should I do that?

Regardless, how can I stain this front veneer and then paint and get a sharp transition line? Masking?

But, also also my concern is that veneer is no thin that, upon sanding, the edges of the veneer will alter the overall shape as the sanding progresses. Not so concerned about the shape just, how would I paint around and beyond it?

So, for a 2 finish guitar (stain/paint) what's the approach when there's no hard angles to make a clean transition?

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    How much woodworking experience do you have?

3. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I'd consider myself very experienced. Designed and built fine furniture etc. Almost finished with a solid body 6 string but, that will be all paint probably so, I don't have this two finish transition line dilemma.

Building isn't a problem for me, it's fine finishing that always seems to give me pause.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If I were going to do it, I would probably try to cut and shape the piece of veneer to match the flat area of the front like a giant pick guard and lay it down on there. Trying to apply the veneer and then sand the transition perfectly sounds like it would be easy to end up with curves that don't match, and leave you with an uneven bevel that would reveal itself once the stain starts hitting the varying end grain.

Good luck, let us know how you approach it!

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Have you considered inlaying the veneer? That would provide a crisp, clean, transition from the veneer to the painted part of the body.

Cut the inlay recess into the body, fit & vacuum bag the veneer in place, dye the veneer, mask off the veneer and paint the rest of the body, clear coat the entire body.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What size is the round over? Would a binding channel completely remove it? A bound top would be best looking IMO

7. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Yes, I agree with a binding but, the round over is way too big. I actually thought of getting rid of the roundover and making all angles 90 degrees but, I don't like that.

Inlay.....hadn't thought of doing it that way. Hmmmm, will have to consider that.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  9. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    inlaid veneer is an awesome idea! and thanks for that inlay bushing, that will come in handy too.

jazzdog, will you be my dad? :D