1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Staining a bone nut...suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by X Wolf, Jan 15, 2007.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I recently had a black plastic nut replaced with a bone nut which was way too white and looked out of place, so I tried the soak in coffee method and also tried a little amber stain. In both cases the nut came out bright yellow so I've bleached it back to white. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stain which will give it a very light brown tone?

Thanks,

George

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Iodine?

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've held nuts and acoustic guitar saddles over an open flame with good results. Sometimes, allowing the flame to touch the piece.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Soak some leaf type chewing tobacco in a small amount of water, and pitch it in there for a day or two. Should get it to where you want it to be.

5. black leather shoe dye...get the alcohol based variety...

6. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    If none of the foregoing options are suitable, try having an ebony nut fitted. I've been using them where I need a 'black' nut, on both fretted and fretless, with good sound results.

Lloyd Howard

7. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    You could boil it in something like coffee or tea, add some salt to it and drop it in.

8. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Try a Sharpie. That permanent stuff soaks into everything porous. Also, believe it or not Rit dye will probably do it too. I've used that with good success on molded nylon parts for other things.

9. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Rit dye would work. My coffee or tea suggestion is basically a hot dyebath. Same principle.

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll try a couple of these and post the results next week.

George

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Then throw it in some pasta and serve it up for dinner. It'll get brown eventually.... :bag:

12. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Coffee pasta? Where's that vomit emoticon when I need it?

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Rit clothing dye will work. Sharpies look good at first but fade with exposure to light.

14. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Well, I tried dyes, stains, coffee, and was not satisfied with the results. Last night I decided to try a friends blonde hair dye and not only did it not work but it ate some small particles of the nut rendering it useless. My next plan is to start all over with a new Tusc nut or something like Corian in the proper color. My coloring project failed but it's been fun and educational.

George

15. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry about the nut but it was a very interesting thread. :)

16. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    I would like to further explore this, because i have an extra bone nut lying around that i would like to be black

17. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    (reviving an old thread.)

as I just learned today:

Rit dye does not work for dyeing a bone nut. The dye will not adhere to the bone material.

18. RMay

RMay

Dec 5, 2003
    Colorado
    EDIT: I just noticed this is an old thread. HA! Anyways...

KIWI Brown shoe polish. I have used KIWI on a bone nut and had great result. Apply a thick amount then let it set for 5 secs. and wipe clean. Continue this process till your achieve the desired light brown color. Also, it works on tinting clear poly finishes. If you dont like the result use warm soap water and a lot of elbow grease.

19. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I bet that would work for a light brown stain.

Black is another story. I haven't found a way to stain a bone nut black.

20. curtis r

curtis r

Aug 8, 2007
    austin tx.
    touring bassist
    have you thought of useing a grafite nut