1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Staining a new Warwick

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Suatie, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I just received my brand new Corvette $$ German (thanks again to the good people at the Bass Place).

I got a great deal but had to settle for a color that I really don't love so much, the natural oil.

This one is likely to be a keeper for me so I am not worried about resale (which is pretty weak with Warwicks anyway), so I am thinking of getting it stained professionally some unusual color.

I will appreciate any suggestions, do's and don'ts etc.

Here is the photo from the Warwick site, I didn't get a chance to photograph mine yet.

Attached Files:

2. Don't mean to rain on your parade but it might be difficult-I would expect the oil finish to be a sealing finish which means stripping it all off first. Could be a really huge job.

Having said that, the bass would look nice with a satin Burgundy finish. Good luck, nice bass.

3. I think you are right.

I was reading on the Warwick site about the natural oil finish and it seems to be more complex than it looks.

I suppose I will let it grow on me...

4. That's a great looking bass. I'd keep her how she is.

5. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Keep it as is. It could change the tone to sand it down and refin.

6. In my opinion, I think that's best. A bass that pretty and nice will grow on you no matter what color.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Just use lots of Howard's Feed n Wax. The finish will take on a 3D look, the grain will pop and the color will darken over time. I wasn't crazy about mine but the color is really starting to grow on my over time.

8. Here is the actual bass, it has nice grain, I like the idea that it will get darker with time..

20130313_222719_zps42694592.

8adf0e00-5255-4dea-af58-19af4614a339_zpsf3b39576.

I am all Warwick now basses, amp and cabs...

9. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

This guy is the master and all you have to do is send him the body. He does work for a few small companies like Mike Lull, Lakland, USA Spector etc...He is sort of trusted :)

He did work for me in the past and was a reasonable turn around time and was surprisingly inexpensive besides being incredible.

http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/

10. Means2nend, you are killing me.

Just when I was mentally ready to forget about refinishing you post this link, there is some amazing work there.

I am not going to jump on it, wait and let it grow, but if I do decide to do something at least I know who to call.

It might make more sense to buy an older bass in poor cosmetic condition and send it to these guys instead of a brand new one.

11. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

You might be right....this was chipped like crazy and white and now look at it it's ruined :D

12. Wow they have even converted into a lefty:D

That is a gorgeous color and finish.