1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Staining a Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joshua Allred, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Joshua Allred

Joshua Allred

Dec 11, 2011
    Ok so I am new to this specific forum and I cnt spell so leave me alone.Ok so now to my point I have a Peavey T-40 (honestly who doesnt) and I want to stain it yes stain it not refinish I will lightely sand body and stain it with a medium stain and after put a coat of polyuruathane on it after it is done drying I hate how light the color is but I love how the grain runs my iest prob is the neck I whant 2 stain it but I honestly have no idea how I do not want the letters or made in USA to get messed up or anything else should I take the neck to a proffesional? O yea it is swamp ash wood like most P T-40s. thats what it is not oak my dad is a carpenter and knows all about wood not to b offensive to anyone but that seems to be a debate. thank u for any advice God Bless

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I wouldn't do anything to it except clean and service it. If you still want to do those things you mentioned, better to get a pro to do the work with your admitted ignorance of how and what to do. Again, IMO, just a good cleaning and polishing and let it rip the bass lines is all that is necessary, and far less costly in both the work and the decrease in value of a "modded" T-40. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Polyurethane is a poor choice to finish a instrument.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    New to the forum, and telling members what to do?

Thanks for the periods after the words, "alone", and, "debate". It's a start...

Shuggy73 likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

??. Poly finish is used all the time now. Not the best choice for acoustic instruments that need resonant bodies, but for solid instruments it is fine.

Young fella, that neck is lovely maple, I would just leave it blonde. You won't be able to stain the head and save the lettering, so leave it. A darker body with a blonde neck is a common sight in instrument land.

6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I presume he is going to use a product like Defthane or Minwax again not a good choice for instruments.

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    If you are going to try to do this yourself I would recommend something easy to use like Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It's not really a stain but a clear finish that gives a slight amber tint. Will give you a nice gloss finish too. Easy to apply but will take many coats. Here is a bass I did a while back using it and I thought it turned out great.

Attached Files:

eb0248 likes this.
  8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Very nice.

9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Just because your dad is a carpenter does not mean he knows all about wood or musical instruments for that matter. I have a friend who is a carpenter and a very good one, he is also a excellent guitar player. He took a pre war Gibson J45 stripped it and brushed polyurethane on it. Carpenter and Luthier are not interchangeable.

10. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks! Unfortunately, like a dummy I sold it a while back! It's one of those I wish I still had!