Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Staining a Warwick a solid color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I currently own a used 97' 5string N/T thumb and am thinking of purchasing a new model, only a fretless and it'll have the ovangol and cheap nut unlike my '97. I was thinking of just staining it black if this is even possible (since I don't like the look of ovangol at all) and adding chrome hardware from warick to replace the stock black. Is this possible and can I do the staining myself? Does anyone know how? Also how do you think it would look w/ the ebony board?:confused: :D

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Basically, you don't like the hardware, the finish, fretboard, or the nut.

Why are you going to bother with a Warwick?
    Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new bass that you actually dig when you buy it? Why not buy a used Warwick, as opposed to paying new prices for something you are going to ruin the resale on?

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well I think ebony comes standard on all warwick fretlesses but I think I might like the look all this would produce but I just don't want to do this to IMHO a quality warwick like the older models thats less replacable.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Buy a used 2000 or 2001 Warwick.