Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Staining Fretlines

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AndersonHSBass, Sep 4, 2004.

1. I hope you guys can help me here. I may seem picky, but I am goin for a specific look.
    I am currently looking at buying a Carvin bass with an ebony fretboard used. I love the thing, but I don't like the white fretlines. I am kind of a fretless purist (started on upright), so I want a certain look. I was wanting to know if there was any way to stain the fretlines so they are less obvious (NOT WHITE!). It's not really a big deal, I understand its a minor issue, but I am goin for a specific look. Thanks you guys.

LOVE THE SITE!

AHSBass

2. If they are real white, I'd say they are plastic inserts and they won't stain. Best you could do would be to have them lowered by resawing the fretline and filling the new slot with ebony dust and CA.

That's how I would do it.

3. Wow thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering what kind of tools you would use to do that with?

AHSBass

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Just to add on, if they are not plastic and are wood filings, wood filler, or wood, go to home depot and buy medium grit sand paper, minwax jacobean stain, and a paint brush if you dont have one. depending on preferance you may also want to by of that hardening stuff whos name escapes me. Sand the board just enough to get the top layer of finish off, then add 3 (or so) finishes of the jacobean stain according to the directions.

I just did this with a home defret job on a rosewood board, I used one layer of the stain and it didn't really change the color of the rosewood too much, just darkened the a whole lot.

If they are plastic then it gets a lot more difficult to remove them without messing up the board, and you may want to consider having a professional do it. (Unless Hambone's idea is to file the lines out the way you would file a nut, in which case it would just be a whole lot of work.)

5. Eh, nevermind turns out the old ebay scam struck again. I did a bit of research on the guys history and found he had tried to sell a poorly photoshopped picture of the bass.

I will just have to stick with my hotrodded Fender for now.... :D