Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Staining my Spector another color?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yomchi247, Jul 20, 2005.

1. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    Recently I've been thinking about trying to stain my bass blue.

My spector is natural wood...I'm assuming it's sealed somehow, but it's not a gloss finish. I'm interested in staining it so the woodgrain still shows and it's blue, but still not gloss

My question is what would this take? I have an uncle who is a woodworker, so I can get help with it, but I was just wondering if there is anything specific that goes along with basses to be known.

If I would do it, I would take everything off of the bass of course

I was just wondering what type of stain or sealer would I need, and how would I go about doing it...

any help is greatly appreciated

2. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    As far as the color goes, I think you want to dye the wood. I had some pretty good results from an water-based aniline dye I got from LMII.com. Unfortunately, for that to work you've really got to get the bass down to bare wood. My project was a piece of crap with a gloss black finish. I took all the paint off and it looked to me like I was down to bare maple. I attempted to apply the dye, but nothing happened. After a little trial and error I discovered that the wood had been covered in some sort of grain filler and/or sealer. Much sanding ensued. The part I'm still coming to grips with is what to do after the dye. Seems there are so many options for the finish/top coat. It would be awesome to have a thread or site where you can see the same color and type of wood with different finishes. Of course, that wouldn't help you with the feel or texture, but it would be a nice start.

3. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    thanks for the reply

yeah, mine wouldn't be as extensive as yours...my bass is already natural with some sort of sealer, so I imagine I wouldn't have to sand down toooooooo far, but you never know :eyebrow: