Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stainless feel funny?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whamonkey, May 2, 2003.

1. Ok, I've been using Fender Superbass 8250 for my American J5 and they're nickleplated. I tried the DR longnecks (just a tapercore highbeam) and I HATED them. Felt like a file honestly. :spit: Nice tone but way too "zingy". Are all stainless roundwounds that way? I'm sticking with the Fenders anyway, I love 'em.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, the general trend is that stainless steels strings are rougher on the hands, the frets, and and the fretboard. Some people feel the pain is a good compromise for the super zingy tone. (I know I do. ;)) If you don't like the tone or the feel, then you are much better off with nickelwound strings.

If it's any consolation, your fingers will adapt to the new strings very quickly.

3. Roger that, although the "feel" wasn't the issue as much as how steenking noisy they were.(whip, whip, zip....like walking in cordureys!) I guess that is more incentive to refine the old tecnique!