Stainless light gauge stings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim T., Jun 3, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of tryiing a set of Fodera Matt Garrison Signature strings for my 6. They'd be a 28 40 60 80 100 120 guage set.

I have three questions regarding (any brand) set of STAINLESS roundwounds:
    l. Will stainless cause more (signifigant) fret wear than nickels?
    2. Will a 120 low B be useless or can they sound deep and focused? Matt Garrison uses a 100 E string dropped with a detuner for a low B and it seems OK...
    3. Will using a 125 or 130 low B, with the rest of the set light gauge, warp a Fodera's neck?

Thanks in advance. Please let me know what you know/think as I'd like to make a string order soon.
    Cheers, Jim T.;)
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1. Somewhat but it's debatable whether you consider it "significant."
    2. Not useless but certainly not as fat as a 130.
    3. Very unlikely.
  3. Boogiebass,
    Thanks for your response and concise answers. Does anyone else have any strong opinions about how a relatively thin low B, like a 120 sounds? Does it speak clearer pitchwise even though it's not fat or thick? Shorter decay time? Anyone out there who has a lot of performing experience with light sets? I've read past posts with 125s but never a 120... I'd love to just throw a set on and find out, but you know how the ol' $40 a crack thing sits with the other financial priorities of life...:rolleyes: Thanks again, Jim.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've come to learn that light gauge strings work best for me on my 4 strings I use .087 .067 .047 .027 G-E. my six string set I add a .022 for my C,and a .100 for my B.on my 8 string I add a .017,and a .015 for my high F,and high Bb,on my Sub-Contra bass I use .194 .165 .115, .o98 standard E-low C#

Even tho my B is 100 it still gives me the right amount of bottom
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

YIKES! a .194!!! that's a STRING....
    I also tend to like lights on my basses. I am using TI Jazz Rounds (great strings BTW) which on the four string are: .043;.051;.068;.089. On my five string fretless I add a .029 for the C (I have a hipshot on the E also). I find that these strings (TIs) in this gauge give more focus, clarity and dynamics...altho they are nickel wound....
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

oops...almost forgot: Ernie Ball makes a variety of SS strings in various gauges that are sold as can mix and match your own set to whatever you like (which could be lighter on the E or C and heavier on B....)
  7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Jauqo, what brand strings are those?

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    their Dean Markley and on my ABG's and my EUB I use TI's