1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stainless light gauge stings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim T., Jun 3, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of tryiing a set of Fodera Matt Garrison Signature strings for my 6. They'd be a 28 40 60 80 100 120 guage set.

I have three questions regarding (any brand) set of STAINLESS roundwounds:
    l. Will stainless cause more (signifigant) fret wear than nickels?
    2. Will a 120 low B be useless or can they sound deep and focused? Matt Garrison uses a 100 E string dropped with a detuner for a low B and it seems OK...
    3. Will using a 125 or 130 low B, with the rest of the set light gauge, warp a Fodera's neck?

Thanks in advance. Please let me know what you know/think as I'd like to make a string order soon.
    Cheers, Jim T.;)

2. Bump...?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1. Somewhat but it's debatable whether you consider it "significant."
    2. Not useless but certainly not as fat as a 130.
    3. Very unlikely.

4. Boogiebass,
    Thanks for your response and concise answers. Does anyone else have any strong opinions about how a relatively thin low B, like a 120 sounds? Does it speak clearer pitchwise even though it's not fat or thick? Shorter decay time? Anyone out there who has a lot of performing experience with light sets? I've read past posts with 125s but never a 120... I'd love to just throw a set on and find out, but you know how the ol' $40 a crack thing sits with the other financial priorities of life...:rolleyes: Thanks again, Jim.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've come to learn that light gauge strings work best for me on my 4 strings I use .087 .067 .047 .027 G-E. my six string set I add a .022 for my C,and a .100 for my B.on my 8 string I add a .017,and a .015 for my high F,and high Bb,on my Sub-Contra bass I use .194 .165 .115, .o98 standard E-low C#

Even tho my B is 100 it still gives me the right amount of bottom

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

YIKES! a .194!!! that's a STRING....
    I also tend to like lights on my basses. I am using TI Jazz Rounds (great strings BTW) which on the four string are: .043;.051;.068;.089. On my five string fretless I add a .029 for the C (I have a hipshot on the E also). I find that these strings (TIs) in this gauge give more focus, clarity and dynamics...altho they are nickel wound....
    Max

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

oops...almost forgot: Ernie Ball makes a variety of SS strings in various gauges that are sold as singles....you can mix and match your own set to whatever you like (which could be lighter on the E or C and heavier on B....)
    Max

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Jauqo, what brand strings are those?

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    their Dean Markley and on my ABG's and my EUB I use TI's